Audio noob with some questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by woodchuck, Mar 2, 2004.

1. woodchuck

woodchuck Member

Hey guys, I posted this on sound domain, and was hoping maybe you would be nice enough to take a look too.

Ok,

So I've been trying to read through your forum and get a bit educated on car audio. Honestly I don't quite understand a lot of what is being said though.

I do however have some simple questions.

Here's some background.

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee. Road noise and a near 90 degree windshield are getting the best of my stock 4 speaker stereo. I would like to upgrade for under $1500.

So here are my questions.
    I have searched some, but really didn't find what I wanted specifically, and have a few different questions also.

1: Can I get decent sound out of 5.25 speakers? The jeep holds 4 5.25in speakers in the stock positions. I would like to appear as stock as possible.

2: Is the difference between running those 4 speakers off of a 2 channel amp, or running them with the head unit something that I as a audio noob am going to notice?

3: I hope to add a subwoofer also, would the difference between a seperatly amplified sub, and one of those bazooka self amplified tubes be well noticeable to me?

4: is it easy to have a sub on quick disconnets? I don't mind crowding the cargo area, but when I need to haul gear for work or play I'd like to be able to throw the sub in the garage in less than 5 min.

5: Do you guys seriously take all the interior panels out of your vehicles ,apply sound deadeners, and then put the panels back?

I am fairly electronically saavy, but audio dumb. I plan to install this all my self, but not without knowing the score first.

Anyone's help, and patience is much appreciated.

2. 04

04 Guest

1. Sure you can get good sound out of 5.25" speakers. You will want to amplify them seperately (not using the headunit) and also have at least a 2nd order highpass as well.

2. The only difference between running the speakers off the amp and head unit will be at high volumes. If you like it loud, you will want an amplifier.

3. Yes there would be a difference. But the Bazooka would be easier to install. If you don't want to build your own enclosure, the Bazooka might be the best bet.

4. Yes you can put the subwoofer on quick disconnects. Make sure you get the insulated ones though, because you do not want the wires to touch each other or the car's chassis.

5. I don't have any sound deadener in my car, but then again im not very serious about car audio. For someone that's new to this, I wouldnt bother doing much more than the door panels since you will be taking them apart anyways.

3. woodchuck

woodchuck Member

Hey thanks for the response.

1: What's a 2nd order highpass?

2: Ok I'll amp them then because I like it loud from time to time.

3: I'm not intimidated by putting some work in here, is it worth the effort sound wise?

4: Excellent

5: SO most likely a play it by ear sort of issue.

I have been told that a good idea would be to run component type speakers in my front doors, and coax?? in the back (I'm assuming that this means 2way or 3ways in the back) and to amp the fronts on a 2channel amp, and run the rear off of the head unit.

I plan to search out mid grade equipment on this, assuming that means kenwood, sony, alpine, panasonic, and clarion ish stuff. I'm doubting the difference between mid grade and high end equip is going to make much difference on my morning commute.

With out a brand war, anybody have a good (warranty/customer service/low quality) reason to aviod a brand? I have liked the stylings of the panasonic and sony head units. But I think I am picking things at random.

4. 04

04 Guest

A second order highpass is one that has a rolloff of 12dB an octave and removes low frequencies at a rate of 12 decibels per octave. It can increase the output of your speakers.

I would say to build your own subwoofer enclosure if you feel confident about doing so.

Yes, running the front speakers off an amp and the rears off the headunit is a good idea. I had a 88 Cherokee and didnt run rear speakers, but if you have a lot of passengers, you may want a set for them.

I would avoid sony's headunits. I had one and it would skip ALL the time. My friend has a newer one and his skips as well.

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

I agree with avoiding the Sony headunits. I've seen a fair share of them with a range of problems. Panasonics are nice mid range units, and I have never had an issue with them. In fact, I just installed the CQ-DF903U in my girlfriends car, and it has some nice features.

As for building a box, I would say to go for it if you have the ability. The sound you will get *can* be much better than a bazooka tube. For your needs, one 12" sub in a ported or sealed box would probably be plenty. The best bet would be to get a 4 channel amp - run the front 2 channels to your front speakers, and bridge the back 2 channels to your sub. This would save you from having to buy 2 amps, plus extra wiring, space, etc... For amp brands MTX, soundstream, kicker, RF, etc are all good mainstream brands. Each has its good and bad qualities, so I would just read some reviews on the various models and see what you like. I would recommend something like this: http://www.millionbuy.com/sosrub6004.html A quality amp that will give you 80 watts RMS to your front component speakers, and 300 watts to your sub (as long as it's 2 ohm DVC or 4 ohm SVC). I would like to recommend the cheaper Edge series amps, but my first experience with them wasn't great, so I won't go one way or the other yet.

6. woodchuck

woodchuck Member

Well, I wussed out on making any real decisions, and just ordered a Pioneer HU (DEH-7600MP) and Pioneer 6disk CD changer from Crutchfield. I should have them in hand by the 11th, and plan to install this weekend. I figure to install by myself (here's hoping the crutchfield guide is worth it) Next month I plan to drop the dough on speakers components for the front, and some 2 ways in the back. I came to the conclusion that I liked the Pioneer look and pricing, and I still don't know squat about speakers. After that....subwoofer.

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Jeeps do have quite a bit of road noise, you would benefit from adding some deadening in there, even if not going for an extremely pounding system... You could also use rubberized undercoating on some of the underside of the car, including the wheel wells...

Some equipment that I'd recommend

Unless you want to go into piecing together your own component set and building/ordering the crossover I would look at these CDT components

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083

For an amp, well I can't remember if that set has bi-ampable crossovers or not from when I was about to buy mine a year and a half or so back... If it's not I'd say go with a 300.2 or 500.2 phoenix gold tantrum... last time I went to www.infinitecaraudio.com they had pretty good prices on those...

For the sub(s) I'd probably recommend a W7 if you can get one... I never thought that I'd kinda jump onto the bandwagon but well...it happened...heh..

If not I hear that the Magnums are pretty nice but I haven't been all up into new subwoofer, or much of car audio for about 6 months...

8. [b]e-n[/b]

[b]e-n[/b] Guest

Actually, purchasing from infinitecaraudio.com will result in loss of warranty. They are not an authorized internet dealer of PG. I would recommend purchasing a T600.4 from www.sounddomain.com . This will give two channels for the front stage, and two for a subwoofer. Another authorized internet dealer of PG's is www.thezeb.com .

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I'm well aware of this....

10. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Then why would you recommend that site if other reputable sites like sounddomain sell it cheaper and with warranty?