audio newb needs help (car)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pudifin, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Pudifin

Pudifin These girls > olsen twins

I'm going to be buying another car in a month or so ('95 or '96 Maxima) and I want to put a system in it. It's not going to be a competition system by any means, I just want something that sounds good at higher volumes. Not wake-my-whole-neighbourhood-volume though.

I already have a JVC KD-SX980 (MP3-CD) deck and I'm looking at spending $500 CDN on the system (Thats probably like $300-$350 USD) I'll spend more if I have to. I'll probably be buying off e-bay.

So here are my questions:

Do I need a subwoofer at all? I like my bass but I don't need to shatter glass. Will a good set of speakers do the job?

If I don't need a woofer, would I want/need an amp for just the speakers?

I understand the resistance values, but what is the real world difference between a 2ohm and 4ohm speaker? Just the power required?

What speakers/amp/sub would you recommend for me? I *think* the speaker size is (4) 6.5" but I haven't checked myself...

TIA

2. 04

04 Guest

I would get a subwoofer, even a small 10" one would work well for your application.

I would also get a 4channel amplifier, and run the front 2 channels to the speakers, and bridge the rear channels for the subwoofer.

I would also not bother with rear speakers.

The only difference between a 2ohm and a 4ohm nominal speaker is that one will draw more power than the other, and is 3dB more sensitive if all other things are equal.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

and if you do feel the need to have rear fill, i'd use the headunit to power the rear speakers.

4. Pudifin

Pudifin These girls > olsen twins

:cool:

Thanks for the info guys

5. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

Adire Shiva....12"....$125 USD.

6. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

but since youre in canada try, www.acoustic-visions.com i ordered my Brahma from there. good stuff. and they have a canadian site i think too. good luck!