Audio mistakes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flynfrog, May 25, 2003.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Ok you know you have screwed up before now is the time to share with the rest of us

My first system i ever had i installed my self after working all night to get it installed the subs were realy realy quiet it was about 3 am by now and after an houre of playing with settings we still coulnt figgure it out so we deiced to go to bed as i lay there in bed i rember reading somehting about a gain setting in teh amp manual so at 4 am i run down and turn up the gain and holy cap i have bass.

storry two would be my seond system we were listing to a ball game while we were installing it as we contuie to to add in amps speakers ect all of the sudden the music dies and the deck shuts off i though i shorted a wire and fried my deck so i start to take out the deck and put in a new one no help so then i remove the amp and try a diffent one we then decide to go to a freinds house and grab another deck i go to start up my truck Dead Battery :slap:

2. 04

04 Guest

:o I thought my Lanzar vibe 1200D that I paid 15 dollars for was broken! Ah but no, I forgot to put the remote bass in. Plugged it in and it worked like a champ. Oh, did I mention this was 2 days ago? :rofl:

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i use hemostats at work to heatsink speakers if i solder them. one day i forgot to put them up when i was done, and the car i did earlier that day came back with a weird rattle when the bass hit from one of the 6x9's... sure enough, there were my hemo's still attached to the 6x9. :o

4. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

During my first system install, my friend who knew absolutely nothing about systems told me that the ground wire has to be grounded or it'll blow the amp. Being the gullible person I was, I sat in an akward position in my trunk holding a wire against the wall of my trunk. It took about an hour or so of that before someone tugged on it and I lost the wire. We all thought the amp was a goner until I put the wire back. :o

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i went 12 years without putting a screw through a surround, until that fateful day... a customer was in the shop talking to me, while i was loading his box. he asked me how many screws i have put through speakers, i said that have not... as i said it, the black and decker jumped... i said there's a first for everything, because i just now did one. :o

6. vtec1994

vtec1994 It always rains at Le Mans

Hell yea you got it working! How is it? Think it will do justice to an IDMax?

7. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, it would be plenty of power for an IDMax. However, LOUDSYSTEM will tell you otherwise!!! :o

8. vtec1994

Yea because its not Class A/B and not an ARC product. Oh well, at the end of the month I'm picking up a IDMax D4 and VIBE 1200D and going with a 1.5 ft^3 and 800w @ 2ohms. Its gonna be loud as hell.

9. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

are you insulting my 1200D running my 12" Brahma? how about you drive here and listen to it first. thanks.

10. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i have the 1200D powering my Brahma @ 1 ohm. yes it is very loud, and the SQ is very very comparable to my previous JL Audio 500/1.

brahma is in a 2ft^3 tuned to 30hz

11. vtec1994

He wasn't dissing it, he used it as an example. LOUDSYSTEM on the other hand hates it cause its Class D.

12. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

it's a great amp. like it or not.

13. vtec1994

I wanted to get a Brahma but there was no way I could get it at 2ohms, so thats why I'm going with the IDMax 12.

14. pooshda

pooshda Guest

Put a hole clean through a 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect component woofer (aluminum) when the screwdriver slipped... that was easy to get replaced though.

15. 04

04 Guest

:ugh: Uh, no....

I bought mine for 15 dollars off my brother because he couldnt find anyone else to sell it to. Didnt I already tell you this on AIM?

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you raped my thred :wtc:

17. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

ooops, my bad bro. yeah you did tell me. what do you have it powering again??

18. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

i was screwing a sub down and it slipped, punctured the rubber surround of a friends 15" Orion

19. 04

04 Guest

Stryke SAE1204 www.stryke.com

Its a bit more power than the stryke needs though. :o

20. Biohazard

Biohazard Guest

only 2 mistakes.......the first time was when I was just getting into car audio and I was cheap. I bought an audiovox cd player for my old CRX. When I wired it, I didn't know about aftermarket wiring harnesses so I just directly wired everything. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that I wired the power wire to the illumination wire.....i had to turn my lights on to listen to the radio. :)

the second time was when I was putting my L7s in the box. Screwdriver slipped and popped the surround. :)

21. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Put a screwdriver through the surround of this crappy 12" MTX I had.

22. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

So far one mistake...I blew my mtx 5 channel amp 2 weeks after i installed it because I set the bass frequency lower than what my stupid factory head unit provides. I dont know for sure if this is the reason, but I can't think if any other reason why it blew.

23. Loopy

Loopy What do you think happens when you get too far fro

24. 04

04 Guest

That wouldnt blow it up...

25. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

really?..that was my guess since that seemed to be one of the few settings I touched, before it failing.