Audio in My Truck... How Much Power do I Honestly Need?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Jan 13, 2006.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I listen to a lot of music, but the car is just not a good environment. Especially my truck, as right behind me is a wall. So I don't really don't feel a need to crank my music; I listen at a very conserved level. Currently, the setup is 35w x 4... I'm going to get Sirius and use my MP3 Player primarily... ocassionally I will want to turn it up louder; I'd say never exceeding yelling level. Is is the power I have now fine?

Moving on, for Sirius, I was thinking instead of a head unit and a sirius reciver, I just get a head unit with an AUX in and a plug and play unit, and just drill the base into the dashboard (and sell the truck with a unit... that really wouldn't depreciate the truck's value, right?)... what sirius unit should I get, and which head unit(s) (needs an AUX in, no more than $150, maybe?) should I shop for?

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well......I'm pushing 300watts to a single 10 and it gets too loud for me in my car...

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for HU look for pioneer or alpine

4. nickgonzo

nickgonzo oh ya

I'm a lil curious.. is that 35x4 off HU power?

are you using stock speakers?

5. coronet

Can't answer you everything... they appear to be stock, since I don't see any brand name through the vents. And yes, HU power, because that's what I am reading off of my HU :o

Like, I don't know anything about this truck. I think my grandpa tacked on a new HU in 1994 or 1995 so he could listen to tapes.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i'd use a good HU with some built in Filters, kenwood excelon (the KDC-X5xx series is a good value ~$250) or a comparable Premier HU. Just go that route and you might be able to get away with the stock speakers. But i'd go in stages to see what you like.

7. coronet

Yeah. Hell, I'm now thinking I won't have the truck that long, less than six months. I might not not even get a HU... just Sirius.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

5000 watts

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

ban

10. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Asking the question of how much power you need is really impossible to answer. This is just because loudness depends on the speakers and listening environment, not simply the number of watts. Also, you aren't getting 35W RMS out of your head unit, probably more like 20, although really it's a fairly minor difference.

I think your idea of getting a head unit and running the sirius to the aux input is a fine idea. If you want to improve your sound, and allow yourself more headroom (can get louder more cleanly) then buy an external amp. Sounds like with your stock speakers you can be fairly conservative about it. Maybe a 75Wx2 would be a good place to start. Finally, if you want to improve sound quality even more (because an external amp will do more than just make things louder), upgrade your speakers.

11. nickgonzo

nickgonzo oh ya

yeah, I have never really trusted the watt rating on HUs.. I own a Kenwood 30x2 amp, and I heard a HUGE different from stock power. I would def amp any aftermarket speakers you decide to purchase. If you plan on using the stock speakers then stick with the HU power.

12. veonake

There is plenty of reason to externally amp your stock speakers as well. For instance, over on vwvortex.com, it is widely known that a Jetta with the monsoon sound system and an aftermarket external amp won 1st place in an SQ competition using the stock speakers. So, adding an external amp can really improve the sound of stock speakers.

13. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

my old truck......i had 1000w going to each sub 3 ppi flat pistons..and another 500 going to mids/highs.....that should be plenty for ya......but if realistically if you keep it at a "normal" volume...200-300 should be more then enough just get a 50x4 or 50x6 amp also keep in mine money=quality dont skimp on the amps

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i certainly hope that competition wasnt world finals :ugh:

15. nickgonzo

nickgonzo oh ya

I heard about that too.. and no it wasnt at finals. Wasnt it Jason Ewing.. LOL those guys know so much about installing and tuning its not even funny. Not to mention that he didn't JUST add an external amp and won that comp. He has a ton of processing power.. and hes been doing comps for a long time.

16. veonake

Of course not, lol. I believe it was a medium-sized SQ comp, the point is simply that an external amp can improve any speakers.

17. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

QFT. I ran my stock '04 Corolla components on my PPI PC6600.2 for a month or so while I was waiting for a nice set of Boston Pro 6.5's to turn up. They don't hold a candle to the Bostons obviously but they sounded amazing given the setup.

How much power do you need? Well...not too much. ATM I'm down a 12 (away for repair) and running my components unbridged. That gives me 50 each to the 6.5 set and 100W to a Boston 12.5LF. Granted it's clean power and nice gear, but it's still bangin with only 200W total system power.

Like a PPI PC650, 6600, or 6600.2 :big grin: Can't praise mine enough. Could be a little more flexible though :/
    It might be FS soon though...in favor of a 4100/4800/4800.2. I'm never gonna need the extra channels (screw rear fill) and may as well throw some extra power at my subs in the process.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006