Audio equipment for fitness room/dance studio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Jul 2, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I have recently taken hold of a mom and pop dance studio. I am looking to upgrade their sound system. It is in dire need of something!

Right now there is a Sony Receiver, Panasonic DVD player (being used only as a CD player), and two 3 way JBL speakers from the 1980's (12" woofer cones).

Basically I need some recomendations for new equipment. Although my budget isn't quite in the professional range yet (this just needs to cover me for one year or so until I start making some money out of this studio), it does need to at least look impressive to onlookers.

The speakers will be hanging in the back of the dance studio. The room is approximately 45ft long by 15 feet deep.

It does not need to explode the room with sound, but needs to be clear and able to handle bass (dance teachers tend to turn things way too loud).

Recommendations?

I would like to see someone put together a good, better, best so that I can see the difference between the setups.

**What do I need in my system?**

Amp/Receiver
    CD Player with fast read time and very very durable to a lot of use (~6 hours/day 6 days a week)
    Speakers

that's it for now.

Okay go :x:

cliffs: recommend me a sound system for dance studio. need receiver, cd player with fast read time, and speakers that can handle bass.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

3. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I'm just an average Joe, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    I go to a kick boxing gym that also does a lot of aerobics. We used to have two old ass speakers mounted high on the wall. The gym has remodeled. higher ceilings (removed the false ceilings), and bigger "dance" floor. The sound system now consists of smaller JBL speakers. I don't know what model number or anything, but they are small. Maybe a 5 1/4 or a 6 1/2 driver in each one with a tweeter. I want to say there are 4 of those in the main room and two of those in a separate weight room.

You could always go with a pair of these
    [​IMG]

For the CD player, I would say just buy what's on sale. Don't get some Chinese $25 one at Walmart, but you don't anything special for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week. We've switched to satellite radio and it works great for aerobics.

For the receiver I don't think that's really going to matter also. Just make sure it has enough power for your speakers and keep it in a well ventilated spot on the wall/shelf/rack.

In conclusion, you don't need to go all out and build some super mega sound system. People are coming there for the dancing, not for the music.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay. I can agree with that. I'll go grab a single disc CD player from *gasp* best buy or somewhere that looks decent (brand name).

The JBL's look pretty good. Are they going to provide enough bass with only a 5.25 or 6.5 driver? There are some hip hop classes and break classes that need some good bass.

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

They shouldn't need to carry the bass. Get a subwoofer if they are going to be kicking bass hard.

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

i see your point. I'm just thinking that it would be best to keep everything in one box (there might not be rhyme or reason to it). Basically I need to keep this setup very simple, and off of the ground.

I don't need to have "rattle my trunk bass", but it does need to be clean and able to handle some stupid teachers turning the sound up too much when i'm not there.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Like I said I don't have model numbers of speakers, but you can kind of see what I'm talking about at our gym.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member