audio editor to take out vocals?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mds2004, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I posted this in the OT section but realized it should probably have been posted here.

I am looking for a program that can take out the vocals of a part of a song. Just like two seconds at a time. I have tried it with Goldwave but I could not get it.

This is for a video project for a friend leaving. These two second clips are ruining the song so I was trying to take these words out. So if anyone knows a program list em please. Or even if someone is willing to help me, I have the song and the exact seconds that need to be edited.

It is the "We are Family" song by Sister Sledge. The problem is when it says "I got all my sisters with me"

2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Taking vocals out is kind of difficult sometimes. You can try Audacity, which is a free audio editing program. We use Adobe Audition at the radio station. I think Adobe lets you download a 30 day trial of off their website. Good Luck.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Strictly speaking, you can't completely remove vocals unless they are recorded on a separate track from the rest of the song. If the vocals have been mixed into the instrumental tracks, the most you can do is use an equalizer to mute the frequency range that the vocals occupy -- but then, you'll lose ALL sound in that frequency range.

There might be some DA applications available that use some sort of algorithm to detect sounds that are vocal instead of instrumental and cancel out only the vocals, but they're sure as hell not going to be free.

4. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Thank you I wil try Adobe.

Do you know any names for these said programs?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If I did, I would have listed them. I've been around the block with DigiDesign's ProTools software once or twice, but I've never seen a plugin that claimed to intelligently filter out vocals. Doesn't mean there isn't one, though. A few Google searches for "RTAS Karaoke plugin" might reveal something.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

It's dependant on the frequency you can remove. That's why most Karaoke music sounds like it's missing something, because they're pulling out the frequencies for vocals and it pulls some music out too.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Vocals are usually mixed in the center.

All you have to do is reverse the polarity on one chanel and run together with a normal polarity signal. Everything in the same space i.e., the centered vocals, will be cancelled out.

There are software programs that do the same thing.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen an audacity plugin that will do that.

9. Doc Brown

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Do what? I've never heard anything like that in my life. Making speakers out of phase does not remove vocals. Polarity Signal? Centered vocals? Huh?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Adobe Audition has a 30 day free trial for Windows. I've used it, and its pretty good. You can normalize a group of clips or remove static/background noise. Never done anything as complicated as removing a voice though.

You know... music is recoreded on different mics for this reason, and alot of songs get published with a version that has no vocals, so... you might want to look into getting a multi-trac recording or an instrumental version and mixing that in, if you can't pull the voice through filtering.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Wow, that actually makes sense.

13. Doc Brown

It's an absolute fact of life in the music world that the majority of vocals are mixed to the center.

Well one of the earliest tricks for removing vocals was that you took a stereo patch cable, and reversed the wires on one channel, and ran them into the same channel of a mixer. The result was that anything in the same space on both channels, got cancelled out. And since the vocals are the only thing (usually) that is in the same space on the left and right track, they were the only things that got cancelled out.
    It actually works fairly well, although it doesn't get the full vocal, since some of the vocal track is usually reverb, delay, etc. which don't get removed.
    But for kareoke purposes, it works just fine.

14. Doc Brown

Who woulda thunk it?:mamoru: