Audi TT 225 Quattro. What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by gothicfabio, Oct 26, 2004.

1. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

Hi, I am looking at Audi TT quattros right now. And i was wondering what are your guyses thoughts on these cars. Ive gotten mixed reply's saying that it was GAY or they liked it.

the one i like is a black coupe manual, so it cant be that girly :bigthumb: .

but, my question is do they have bad reliability reports? what year models should i stay away from? the one i'm looking at is 2001 year, does anyone know of any problems with those?

2. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

thanks Bavaria, This is quite inspiring coming from a person that knows about M3's like yourself. Because I know this car is looked down upon by real enthusiasts. But yes, i'm seriously considering it over the 2001.5 S4 I was looking it.

3. Count Petrakoula

Count Petrakoula OT Supporter

:wavey:

I just got one exactly like the one you described except mine is Desert Green. Having traded in a 93 rx-7 for it I definitely miss the power but I am getting used to/spoiled by the other virtues of the car. It is extremely well built, has lots of extra toys (xenon HIDs, ESP, Quattro, butt-warmers, Bose audio, etc) from the factory and it is still covered by a warranty. I am kinda :hsugh: about its "cuteness" factor but as time passes its really starting to grow on me.

Overall, a great car by any measure. It definitely lacks in the go department but it more than makes it up in handling, finesse, relative luxury, and overall coolness.

Have you checked the TT forum at www.audiworld.com yet?

4. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I dig the coupes. I have seen some pretty mean looking ones that were lowered with aftermarket wheels. There are even some tight body kits out there and I am sure that the engine is very tunable like most Audis. I say go for it :)

5. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

awesome, thanks all. I'm glad you guys think at least semi highly of it. I might get the black one 2001 year I can get a decent deal for one w/ only 20k miles on it. :x: .

I was wondering if there is anything notorious about the reliability of the 2001 years. things i shold look out for. like turbo blowing up or anything, but probably same as the A4 eh? because same engine.

but yeah it just freaked me, because on MSN auto's the 2002 TT's got a 'moderate problems' rating on engine reliability.

6. Count Petrakoula

The only serious issue I've heard of so far is the Diverter Valve (wastegate) giving up the spirit every 20K to 30K miles. It doeasn't happen to all vehicles but when it does the dealer will fix it under warranty. Of course there is a myriad of aftermarket DVs out there that take care of the issue but they would void your warranty.

Speaking of which, you mentioned that you are looking into a 2001. The original warranty is about to expire on those and the CPO will extend (at a reduced scope) it for another couple of years for the one time cost of $150. I chose to purchase an aftermarket bumper-to-bumper warranty as well, as repairs on Audis can get pretty expensive.

7. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

thank you count. So basically if i get the 2001. it has only 20k miles on it. just take it to any Audi dealership and get it certified? and the warranty will be extended right? PS: $23000 for a 2001 black Quattro Coupe manual w/ 20k miles. Is that an ok deal?

8. Count Petrakoula

Well, the original warranty was for 4 years/50K miles. You are definitely well within the mile range but the year limit will kick-in in a couple of months. If you buy it from an Audi dealership it will already be inspected and I am sure they will include the cost of transferring it to the final price.

If you do not get it from an Audi dealership (like I did) all you have to do is go to one and ask for the CPO paperwork, which includes a form you fill out and send (with a check) to Audi of America and that takes care of it. In my case since my car is still covered by the original manufacturer warranty I also had them do the inspection at the same time.

I paid a bit less for mine but it has twice the miles yours does. If it is indeed a 225 HP version, and it is in good condition (it should be since it probably just came off a lease) then I would guess it is a decent price, for SoCal anyways. If you are not too happy with it after you check it out I am sure you can find quite few others for around the same price since a lot of 2001s are coming off lease now and people are getting rid of them.

9. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

I didnt know they made a TT Quattro w/ 180HP. Is the 225HP Quattro's are they using the 1.8L engine? or is it bigger.

10. Count Petrakoula

It's basically the same engine. The 225 HP version has 2 intercoolers, lower compression ratio, different ECU mappings, etc.

Here is a link with all the pertinent info:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/tt/01/coupe_specs.shtml

I test drove the 180 HP version and I found it to be rather dissapointing. Some owners claim it is just fine power-wise but I think the 225 HP version is the absolute minimum for a 3200 LB car. There are many chips out there that will bump it up to more than 300 BHP so there are always options for more power.

11. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

Count, How many miles can you usually get for a full tank.

12. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I drove a 180 and after driving it I liked the car, but it is awfully slow.

13. Count Petrakoula

I get about 310-320 miles to the tank but keep in mind I've only had the car for a few weeks now. Also, my daily commute consists mainly of Southern California heavy traffic.

According to the trip computer my average speed so far has been 17 MPH with an average 19 MPG :wtc:

14. gothicfabio

gothicfabio Guest

310 thats not bad at all. its a 10 gallon tank right? but the 17mpg is :wtc: .

I too am in so cal :wtc: .

one last question count, do you know why there is such a huge gap in blue book price for the 2001 compared to the 2002, and 2003 models?

i checked kbb and edmunds and the 2001 was like at 22,000$, and then the 2002 year was at like 25-26k$. and the 2003+'s dont even think about those, those are going for like 30 grand plus w/ more mileage? wtf :eek3:

do you know if there are any changes or significant improvements after the 2001 release that causes the price to jump up like that in just 1 year? 2002?

15. Count Petrakoula

Well, the MPG thing isn't really that bad. The tank can actually hold ~16 gallons. I am literally in stop and go traffic for a couple of hours a day and when I am not the MPG shoots up to the high 20's. I doubt there are many cars out there I would be willing to drive on a daily basis (yes, I know I am a brat) that would manage better under these circumstances.

As far as the difference in price between the years, I suspect its just market dynamics. There are many more 2001s coming off-lease than 2002s and newer, therefore the relatively high supply drives the price down. On the other hand there is only a handfull of newer models up for sale. There are no major changes (other than the 3.2 250HP model) between the years I could discover but I am sure there are a few tweaks here and there.

16. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

I always really liked them.

I almost got one instead of my A4 in '01...

17. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Same here. Except I bought my A4 in '03.

18. NEW LUDA

NEW LUDA Guest

DSG is *really* fun

19. grue

grue New Member

They're quick in a straight line, but don't handle worth a rat's ass.

:dunno: