Audi reliability?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ignited, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I'm thinking of getting an 04 A6 2.7t and was wondering if anyone can give any input about reliability and repair issues that Audi might have. I know and have read all about VW's electrical problem that they cant ever straighten out, but does the same issue reflect in the Audi lines?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.:wavey:

2. Shayes

Shayes OT Supporter

supposedly not that reliable and expensive to repair if needed

3. neotango

neotango New Member

404 reliability not found

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

They are NOT reliable, and are very expensive to fix... explains the generally low resale values

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Audi reliability is an oxymoron.

Seriously, though, their cars work great, the problem is the tolerances on the parts are so tight that as soon as they start to wear out, you notice -- and the parts usually aren't designed to have stable failure modes, so when it wears out it doesn't just get loose, it breaks and takes other parts with it. That's why preventative maintenance is critically important on Euro cars.

At the same time, my 1.8t has 114,000 miles on it, and when I did a compression test on it a few weeks ago, the numbers were all near or above the maximum pressure specified for a new engine. So if you keep it clean and put it on a lift twice a year, it'll run fabulously.

Fortunately, unlike VW, Audi technicians get paid enough to want to stay working at the dealerships, so your car isn't getting serviced by wave after wave of interns.

6. DrDickAction

DrDickAction She needs more of ze punishment!

Really depends on the model/engine. The 2.0Ts have been great and audi has been making steady improvements on their electrical gremlins for a few years now.

If your really looking at a specific model, go read the consumer reports used car reliability mag at your nearest borders....not the end all be all, but will shed a little light on whether a car has been good or bad on average.

My A4 has been bulletproof so far btw.

7. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Yeah I found a pretty nice 04 A6 2.7t Sline with 29,000 miles on it. The car drives really smooth and is immaculate both inside and out. I'm just afraid that the car will give me problems that will end up with me spending mounds of money to keep it running. I talked to a few people, including a mechanic, and he told me to steer clear of Audi due to some ridiculous electrical and mechanical flaws the company keeps running into.
    I just wanted a bit more insight from owners and readers alike to give me a final nail in the coffin for this car. I was between an Audi or BMW (3 series), but after all the stuff i hear...It seems like i've narrowed down my options.

8. DrDickAction

A 3 will be more reliable on average. Depending on your location, you should be able to find a good german mechanic who will at least provide you with affordable labor, even if the parts are a little more. You'll definitely spending more maintaining anything euro, but with proper care, they can still be pretty damn reliable.

The 2.7 v6 was NA I think...not that it matters.

9. Steef

Steef New Member

Everyone says Audi sucks, but I haven't had any issues with mine. Only thing I've done was the timing belt, and that was preventative.

Oh, and my roommate's BMW has had a bunch of issues in the 6 months or so that he's had it.

10. deusexaethera

There's nothing to be afraid of, you will have to spend a ton of money to keep it running. The European auto industry is based on the business model that you pay for maintenance to keep your really nice car running in top shape or else it breaks and you get pwned, whereas the Japanese auto industry prefers to sell cars that lose performance just fast enough to keep from breaking parts as they wear out and get weaker, then they sell you a whole new car when you get sick of your slow old beater.

That doesn't account for the ridiculous electronic and mechanical flaws, however -- those are unintentional, and are the result of designing the cars in labs instead of in the real world.

Personally, I think the engineers should be required to repair the cars the test drivers break, outside, in the rain, in 50 degree weather, next to a highway. If they can get routine repairs done in those conditions, without the parts getting ruined, then the car can move on to production.

11. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I just found a nice 330ci with 50ish K miles. Is this wandering into trouble land with BMW's? I'm more knowledgeable with Jap cars than Euro so I'm shopping semi blindly atm. I did research for Audi already and came across a lot of negative reviews considering their electrical problems.
    Bmw is now my first pick for a car. Budget is sub 20k and was wondering what kind of trouble i might run into with a used BMW or any prevalent problems that might arise in certain models? As i mentioned I found a nice 330 ci that looks pristine inside, outside, and engine bay. I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow and see how it feels.

12. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

i love how you act as if that's good

13. DrDickAction

Car reliability is all relative/averages. All audi's don't suck, all audi owners don't say they suck...they just tend to have more problems than BMWs. Audi is still one of the more reliable euro manufacturers...volvo, vw, saab, merc were all around as reliable or worse according to the latest J.D. Power's.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand

14. DrDickAction

15. deusexaethera

It is good. High compression means no leakdown. It can cause detonation, but that's what timing delay and boost control are for.

16. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

It seems to be hit and miss. I've never had any serious problems with my Audis, but my dad has had a ton of problems with the suspension on his (a widespread problem for that model though). One of my buddys has had no problems with his, well another has had numerous issues. :dunno:

17. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

18. deusexaethera

Lemme guess, A4/S4/A6, B5 chassis?

19. art_VW_shark

"above the maximum"

20. deusexaethera

That's how it should be. When the engine is tested right after building it, the rings aren't fully-seated yet. The compression should go up after a while, and then stay higher for a long time.

21. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

exactly.

Audi is and has always been reliable. Audi engines are built to last a good while. The problem is the endless number of electronic gadgets on Audis that cause most problems. The important things will last though.

22. deusexaethera

...except the suspension. That shit breaks every couple years. And let's face it, if you buy an Audi, you want all the gizmos, so it's shitty when they break.

I hear they use a lot more Hitachi parts instead of Bosch now, so that's good at least.

23. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

V

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  24. art_VW_shark

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

25. johan

johan Active Member

so is the 09 A4 a completely new platform?