Audi R8

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by aquabat911sc, Oct 2, 2007.

1. aquabat911sc

aquabat911sc New Member

This is my first post in anything but initiation, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am an editor for a car magazine so I am always driving interesting stuff. I figured I would post up pics and maybe get some conversations started on what people think of the different cars.

The last couple of days I have been driving around in an R8. Incredible car. It is competitve with anything out there in the 100K price range. It's fast, comfortable, handles incredibly, looks sexy as hell and the V8 sounds like an offshore racer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. It looks like they took a TT, put it on a photocopier at 120%, made tweaks to the front, and added some sheet metal to the back.

3. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Welcome to the forum. So how does it compare to the plethora of 997s you've driven?

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

your job :bowdown:

5. aquabat911sc

aquabat911sc New Member

Price-wise everyone wants to compare it to a GT3, but they are very different cars. The GT3 is a great track car that you could live with on the street, for the most part. The R8 is almost the opposite. An amazing car for the street that you could track occasionaly. While it doesn't have huge amounts of body roll, the suspension is just not set-up for track work on the R8. It wouldn't take much to get it there however. The balance of the car is obviously better than a 911 and you can slide it around fairly easily for an all-wheel drive car.

The R8 looks and feels more "exotic" than the 911. Driving around in the R8 is like being a rockstar. I have never seen so many cell phone cameras before. The seating position is lower and more reclined, the dash and center console seem higher and feels more like a cockpit rather than race car. I actually prefer the seating position in a 911 a little more for serious driving.

When it come sdown to it, I think the R8 is probably a better car than a Carrera S, but not really a match for the GT3's performance. They are both great cars, you really can't lose with either.

6. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Here's the deal breaker: is it on the top of your list if you were in the market for a $100K sports car?

Personally, I think the bang-for-the-buck margin is a little low on the R8. This is not to say that those in the market for this type of vehicle are trying to squeeze the most for their dollar. I just think, for that amount of money, there are a lot of cars out there that offer the same (or better performance) similar comfort, and engineering/technology as the R8. Obviously, any 911 short of a Turbo or GT3 would fit the bill nicely. The new E92 M3 looks to be a definite contender. And even the new-and-improved Jaguar XKR could be a solid option. Of course, none of these cars have the same gawk-factor as the R8, but in terms of luxury and performance they are on par and more.

7. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Hello, good-day and welcome to OT. :wavey:

First, get an AV ;)

Second, :bowdown: to your job!!

8. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

:bowdown: @ your job

9. DasVWBabe

DasVWBabe Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall, but t OT Supporter

I missed this thread yesterday, but welcome to the sub-forums, Mike! :wavey:

10. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

So would you say the R8 is more fun to drive than the 997 Carrera S?

11. art_VW_shark

knowing audis and porsches, I'd doubt that. I'd take the r8 over even a GT3, because i fucking love how it looks

12. Lue

Lue Mega Member

I'm debating for next year between the Vantage V8 N400 and the new Maserati Granturismo. I like them both, haven't driven them both. The Masser is too new, haven't even seen it in person. Have you had a chance to drive it yet?

13. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I can't wait for the V10 Twin Turbo R8 to hit the States! I might need to ditch the 997 soon in preparation.

14. aquabat911sc

aquabat911sc New Member

The R8 is a better GT car, I had a chance to get in a few laps at willow springs yesterday. The R8 is very predictable and very easy to drive. It is a lot more forgiving than a Porsche and you can move it around on the track easier. If you get it sliding it is easier to catch than a 997.

The 997 has more feedback and is just a little more tactile. On the street the R8 is a little more fun just because of the sound and I will admit, because of the attention it draws.

After some track time, I can say with confidence that the GT3 is much better on the track. It is sharper, lighter and just performs better when pushed really hard. However I took angeles crest, a semi-famous canyon, to and from the track and I think for canyon running I like the easier drive of the R8. part of that can also be attributed to street tires vs a DOT track tire on the GT3, but also the GT3 is just more on edge.

Back to answering the question, the Carrera S is just as much fun to drive, but maybe won't be as much fun to own if you like being "seen" in a car. Lets be honest, thats why 80% of these cars are sold.

15. art_VW_shark

does the R8 feel too removing from the road, or is it at least mildly responsive?

16. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

I think that maximum performance isn't as much of an isue with the market this car is being sold in.

People who want a very luxurious and fast exotic aren't always capable of squeezing the extra 10% out of the car that marks the difference between a GT3 and R8. Also, people who are primarily using the car for transport to and from work, on canyon roads for example, would rather have the comfort and cache of the softer-edged and far more exotic R8.

People who bring ultimate performance into the equation are typically not the drivers of these vehicles, they will be buying GT3s, but Audi will still sell every R8 they make without hesitation.

17. Jacko

Jacko HEEE HEEE OT Supporter

the r8 is a testament to audi's technological prowess.

they just need to get the weight down, the quattro system weighs around 900 lbs.

they have made a car that can arguably out handle most porsches which is a status that not many cars are elevated to. for a mid engine car it is amazingly well balanced with a touch of power oversteer if you flick it.

18. art_VW_shark

careful with that axe, bro. Have you driven both? I wouldn't be so quick to give the handling crown to Audi, from porsche

19. red97gst

red97gst New Member

just depends how good of a driver you are...and on what track...:mamoru:

20. OFI

OFI New Member

er... is this really $100k over there?

Top Gear and Fifth Gear were talking about it being just short of £80k here which makes it closer to $160k

Wtf.

For the record it's pretty ugly in the silver posted above heh.

[​IMG]

^ win

21. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

That care is very meh to me

22. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

i want to like the car but i just cant for some reason. Id rather have an Aston martin for the price if i was to use it as a GT. For a track id rather have a GT3. I think its going to be roughly $120k to start is what ive heard

23. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

24. art_VW_shark

:wtf:

25. Lue

Lue Mega Member

It is meh to me too. I hate the big wide flat hood. It looks like something out of 1979 or something. I wouldn't buy it for that price.