Audi crew- Reliability?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Looking at 95-99, A4 1.8T quattro with 5 speed. Are these cars reliable? Anything I should look for when used? What should I stay away from?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's basically the same thing as my Passat, with different bodywork and different interior lighting. When (if) you get the car, change the timing belt/waterpump/timing belt tensioner, change the oil and only use Mobil 1 0w40 from now on, and tear the engine apart looking for leaky vacuum hoses -- replace them with silicone hoses instead of OEM rubber hoses.

If you're going to buy a car that old, you're going to have to do some work on it. This will get you started, and the timing belt thing will save you from doing all that work only to blow the engine with no warning. And you will blow the engine if the timing belt breaks.

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Thanks for the info.

Besides what you've listed, anything else I should considering changing?

Are the quattros design stable? (ie, reliable, prone to failure?) Should I be hesitant on buying a turbo car with high miles?

When I was searching for a car 2 years ago, I almost bought an Audi A4 2.8 but then was told by a few sources they have electrical problems so I bought a toyota instead. Is this true?

4. deusexaethera

You should be hesitant about buying any car with high miles. That said, my Passat had 74000 miles on it, and after investing about $4000 in parts and labor over the past year, the total price is at $13000 (the price of a shitty Kia, mind you) and the car runs like new.

Quattro is bulletproof. Have the suspension arms checked, though, and test ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE ELECTRONIC FEATURE ON THE CAR before buying. If that car uses the same control arms my car does, then they wear out every 50,000 miles or so. It's not a terrible thing, though, because there's about 5 brands of heavy-duty aftermarket control arms readily available for less than the cost of OEM parts.

5. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

I've had a few issues with my A4, including a blown axle.

Find out when the thermostat has been replaced, it will cost you at least $700 to get fixed when it goes out--$50 part and then all the rest is labor.

Quattro is a great system, just make sure you have some good tires if you take it in the snow, otherwise it will be next to worthless.

Handling is great, especially when you have a full Koni/Nuespeed setup:bigthumb:

6. Nihilation

Nihilation New Member

^LOL- you paid somebody ~6 hours of labor to replace the thermostat??

I like my A4 so far with GIAC chip and a few other suspension goodies.

7. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Um, ya, that's how long it takes. The whole front bumper has to come off, and then the front engine cover.

I only paid ~$150 though, since I was working at a Benz/Audi/Porsche/Volvo dealership.

8. Mr. Itchy

Mr. Itchy Guest

My A4 1.8TQM has 154,000 miles on it with no problems. It still looks brand new inside and out too.

9. sanjay

sanjay New Member

my b5 1.8t thermostat was a 10 minute job :ugh:

two bolts and it opens up

you may have a v6 tho

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Do you drive hard?

I tend to drive a new car to me hard for the first three months then I level out.

11. sanjay

sanjay New Member

12. Original

Original OT Supporter

Friend of mine has a 1996 A4 2.8 with over 130,000 miles and drives it reasonably hard. No problems at all, besides some taillight electrical issues :dunno:

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

That's what prevented me from getting an Audi a few years back- electrical problems.

14. Nihilation

Nihilation New Member

No electrial gremlins here- 99.5 A4 w/117k miles, beaten daily.

15. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Oh ya, forgot about that little bitty.

16. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

it's behind the water pump, that price sounds reasonable

17. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Audi electrical problems are for mid-90's models.
    Go with a 1999.5+ A4, I have had two with no major problems and over 100k miles.

18. kashwashwa

kashwashwa New Member

ditto - except I have had one. 99.5 is the best A4

19. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

So was mine. 99.0 1.8t

20. deusexaethera

I also have a 1999 1.8t. Just got the timing belt done yesterday. They had to take the bumper off; took about ten hours to do the timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulleys, waterpump (new one has a metal impeller, yay!), accessory belts, coolant flush, and oil change. Cost me a cool thousand bucks.

That said, that's the last major service my car needs. It's now officially in proper working order.

21. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I had a garage day at my house when I changed the thermostat. Did the waterpump, thermostat, belts, tensioner, pulleys, and coolant flush. Only took a couple hours for all the big stuff because my bumper and radiator didn't want to come off at first. I paid 300.

If I didn't have the help, I would have taken it to an independant shop and probably paid a grand or so to get it done.

22. deusexaethera

Yeah, the $1000 I paid for the labor was insurance money. I want a warranty on work that important. If it blows my engine because they didn't bolt something on tight enough, I get a new cylinder head.

23. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

slight bump.

Currently have an e36 3 series (318is) coupe. Looking at getting a 4 door door for a similar price, and most 3 series sedans have the 85kw engine.

1997 Audi A4 1.8t quattro is looking the goods. Any pointers?

24. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

check:
    control arms
    timing belt
    oil sludge issues
    wheel bearings

25. emulex

emulex New Member

get a 02+ b6 sport , do the timing belt/thermos/recalls/coilpacks and then get stage 1+ with tt225 injectors. real smooth. the b6 93 octane stage1+ nails 1.5bar boost at peak torque to produce 275ft/lb and 225hp. The clutch will not be happy with this, if its used you definitely need to consider the maintenance.

i've had an 01.5 celebration sport A4 1.8TQMS and while it was nice, the styling of the b6 a4 1.8TQS and amenities make it a much better car. the chix will dig the rear heated seats :)