audi and the prestige factor

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Brigante, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

thinkin about gettin an audi. i know you always hear mercedes, bentley, or bmw when people talk about classy and prestigious cars. where does audi fit in that spectrum? personally, i think they're right up there with MB and BMW but you dont' always hear about audi. i know bmw is more sport-oriented than mercedes is, and mercedes is a little more about elegance and lavishness. when i think about audi, i think about quattro. volvo, i think safety, etc. i like how audis look, they're not as common and they're very nice cars. jus curious as to what everyone else thinks.

2. blueNcream

blueNcream win OT Supporter

Whatever you get, as long as you get it in black, I won't be mad.

3. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

I would say perhaps 10-12 years ago Audi most probably would not have been considered on the same level as Mercedes-Benz or BMW. The models such as the 80 were decent cars but nowhere near the equal of a C-Class or the 3-Series.

Today though, through great brand management by VAG Audi is easily as desirable as BMW or Merc-Benz. Mainly I feel thats through their concentration on building the best quality in terms of finish and interior and following its own design path. For example building the A8 out of aluminium was an achievement. Choosing to build a mass produced model like the A2 from aluminium was even greater.

If BMW is sporty, Mercedes is elegance then to me Audi is modern design encapsulating modern technology. The TT for example was a radical piece of design, and even based on a Golf chassis is still hugely desirable. Now with the DSG gearbox its even more cutting edge and ahead of the competition.

To conclude. I like Audis. They may be on the same level as BMW or Merc-Benz, but they are still that little bit more leftfield, the thinking man's choice :big grin:

4. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

First off I just want to say I am a huge Audi supporter and I own a 00 A6 2.7T 6 speed. quattro is a major selling point for sure, but the others also have AWD as an option. quattro works great, you can never tell it is working and it is supposed to be one of the most bullet-proof-can-take-a-crapload-of-power AWD systems. But then again it is a completely mechanical system (excluding the A3 and TT).

Audi's interiors are amazing. Simply put, it puts BMW and Merc to shame. I am also a fan of BMW's and Merc's. BMW's are the ultimate driving machine. I really do appreciate the way a 5 series handles itself considering its mass as compared to my luxury boat, and the 3 series is definately an entertaining ride. They have simply amazing feel, engines (The I's are oh soooo sweet :drool: ), chassis, and tranny's (even though they might have a GM auto. :ugh2: )

Mercs are simply elegant. Pretty styling, and such a comfy ride. Quick too, but I was wanting a manual and you can't get that with a bigger Merc.

Audi's also have this problem with breaking, not that they do it a lot as seems to be a common misconception, but that when something does break, please bend over. :o It gets VERY spendy .... especially when it comes to replacing turbos.

I definately say they blend in well with Mercs and BMW's. The big 3 (German companies) duke it out and we are all the better for it.

This is my second Audi (after my A4 1.8T was totalled :wtc: and this one although not the handler the A4 was, my God is it fast for a stock 3900 lb machine.

Audi turbo cars are also easily tunable. :wiggle:

Cliff Notes:
    Audi's are awesome. BMW's are awesome. Merc's are awesome. :bigthumb:

5. M4A1

M4A1 :)

Their stature is the same as BMW and MB. Althought, I think that MB and BMW are duking it out while Audi is right behind. Not far at all.

6. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I completely agree w/ everything said thus far. Although I am a BMW nazi, Audi is def my second choice. I love the styling and finish, and the engines are very tunable. I think they could work on the handling to make it a bit more involving for the driver though. Me or my gf will probably own an Audi at some point.

7. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Yeah.

What everyone said in here.

8. denim

denim New Member

:bigthumb:

9. king_j

king_j Guest

i have driven all 3. i drive a 300E, my dads friend has a 528, and my uncle has a A6.
    the benz is by far superior, then bmw. audi doesnt even come close.
    the fit and finish of audi/vw is great, but their engineering blows. reliability is very poor.
    they just did a recall of 173,000 vehicles because the car would catch on fire do to a faulty headlight harness.

10. curiousgeorgeM3

In what way? There are many factors to determine which of the three is "better" than the other. IMO, there is no clear cut, "superior" car maker here.

11. M4A1

M4A1 :)

:mb:

12. Untouchable1

Untouchable1 Guest

Go with the Audi. Of all the brands and cars they offer, an S4 would be near the top of my list, if not on top.

13. 2jz

2jz New Member

think about it this way, while all manufacturers (maybe with the exception of porsche) stive to be "prestigous." audi invest their time and energy (and a lot of money!) into their racing teams. i would take an audi over a bmw or mb ANY DAY!

14. big_john2438

big_john2438 Guest

mbs blow bmw number audi 2 and mb 17

15. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

english?

16. curiousgeorgeM3

Oh really? What teams would those be? The ALMS racing program? What a joke. They are no longer directly supporting the prototype class and the only reason they won so much in that class is because MB and BMW didn't see the value of developing cars for it and,thus, had long since left the class. Audi does run a team in the GT class but they hardly dominate that. That being said, both BMW and MB have HUGE commitments to Formula 1 which is arguably THE pinnacle(sp?) of motorsports. Developments such as active steering, HUD, more efficient and longer lasting engine components while gaining more power have all come from F1 racing and found their way to road going BMWs and MBs. Yet Audi won't pony-up to F1 and never has (to my knowledge). Shit, even lowly Ford runs F1. :rofl: @ Audi's racing program.

17. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

LeMans, is way more of a challenge, and who dominates? Audi. Why does BMW not have a WRC team? Doesn't the BMW F1 car use a Ford engine? Does racing really have anything to do with production autos? I don't really think so, except for VAG bringin FSI into production. Every prick on the road has a bimmer or a benz, they have no soul, another die-cut machine IMHO. I love quattro+turbo. I love my avant, it is such a sleeper, not that it's all that fast, but it's fun to drive and I have not had any big problems with it and I love it. That's what matters. All cars have problems, so the statement that they are bad because of a recall is silly.

18. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

oh, and didn't they recall the M3 because of the engine blowing up? The ultimate driving machine...

19. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Racing has a lot to do with production autos! Do you not think the latest M5 has some racing insperation in it? Ferrari basically builds race cars that are street legal. Porsche, the leader in endurance racing, borrows heavily from it's racing pedigree when it comes to producing it's production cars. And don't forget about Jaguar which has a very distinguished racing history. To say that MB and BMW have no soul is a very bold statement to make considering you're making a comparison between automakers with much more race heritage than Audi.:squint:

20. curiousgeorgeM3

How is LeMans "way more of a challenge"?? Please enlighten me. With the exception of Audi and Panoz the premiere prototype class is made up of smaller mom and pop racing programs, ie NOT manufacturer backed. MB, Porsche, and BMW have all dropped out of the program because they see more benefits to F1 (or endurance racing in Porsche's case). Audi was but a shadow in the background when these three raced in LeMans. They only dominate now because the other three do not participate. On you second point, racing has been and always will be one of the primary ways that car manufacturers test new ideas and translate new technologies to their street cars. I don't feel like listing examples because anyone with a working brain knows this and can think of many examples. On WRC: BMW does not currently have a car that would be competitive in WRC and in order to develop one would be cost prohibitive considering they focus on F1 racing right now. Audi has a great all-wheel drive system and it makes sense for them to do WRC. BMW is not focused on AWD so it makes no sense for them to do WRC. To say that BMW, MB, etc have no soul just shows that you have never really spent a lot of time driving one and that you are basing your opinion on your hate of the "pricks" that drive BMW/MB. A pretty lame, closed-minded statement if you ask me. I like Audis but to say they dominate due to their racing is a joke.

21. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

I couldn't have said it better myself:bigthumb:

22. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

i always thought of audi as the little sleeper of the big german brothers (Mercedes, Bmw, Porsche, and Audi) cause when ever you seen an audi and you dont really think of fast or really nice ...but oh man they are. specially the rs4 s4 and rs6 :)

23. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

Back on topic... A female friend of mine overheard someone asking me about my next car, I said I'd like to stick with BMW, but audi is nice too. She remarked " why would you go from a BMW to an Audi?"

Now that's not how i personally think, but the general public does seem to have the preception of BMW=Merc > audi

24. curiousgeorgeM3

True, true. For the record I do NOT feel the same. I like Audi and would seriously consider one if I couldn't find a BMW I liked. But from the general, non enthusiast, public, I have run into the same attitude.

25. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I agree with you guys. I love my Audi, but respect and appreciate all three. When there is a recall with Audi, it is said over and over again. But it doesn't seem to be the same big deal with either BMW or Merc.