Audi A4 1.8T AWD for new car, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Jan 30, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well, this summer, I am going to be buying a new..er (new for me ;)) car and so I am doing some research now, so that way I know what I want when I go and buy.
    I would really like AWD, not a must, but it would deffinetly be a plus, (I live in MN, snowy winters) and a 5spd manual.
    Anyway, I really like the looks and specs of the Audi A4 1.8T AWD, (later 90's) but I don't know much about them.
    My dad just bought an 04 Jetta, and he really likes it, so he's been telling me to get one as well for my next car. (The A4 is the Jetta equivalent no?)

Excuse me of I am being unclear, :o but the bottom line is that the A4 that I mentioned has everything I want. And for the 98 model price is about what I would like to pay..
    Anyway, thanx alot for any help :bigthumb:

Stealth -

2. widebaudi

widebaudi New Member

a4 is more of a passat equivalent, not a jetta equivalent. pick up a 99+ if you can, the car has been through minor updates through the years.

3. FakeID

FakeID Guest

Search audiworld.com and audifans.com; the reliability of the VAG products has really dropped off in recent times. I have an _old_ quattro (87) and it seems like the owners of the newer products are complaining a lot more that the owners of the older hardware. Also, my GF has a 99.5 golf TDI and while it's a good car it's had some really stupid problems. The MAF sensor died at ~70k miles ($400 from the dealer, holy shit!) it needed a new AC compressor at 40k, and the power window units suck.

If you want a quality AWD vehicle, I'd be looking for a subaru. :(

$0.02,
    ID

4. StealthMode

Oh ok, hmm, I like Subaru's, but I like Audi's more.. How much of a price difference is there between a later 90's Subaru and Audi? Insurance much different?

Back to the Audi, how much power does the 1.8T put out about?
    Also, aren't Subaru's more 4WD than AWD?

Stealth -

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Tough distinction to make I'd say.

6. StealthMode

Oh ok, I was just quoting what a buddie told me. I don't know too much about AWD vs 4WD when it comes to cars, but 4wheelers now, good times :bigthumb: Anyway..
    Would I be better off just going for a Jetta or something? I've been tossing the idea around between the Jetta, or the A4... Or maybe something else.
    I just want to make a good decision on this, as I will be driven the car for a long time before I buy again. Not a rich boy here :fawk:
    Anyway, thanx for the help so far :bigthumb:

Stealth -

7. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

How much can you spend? Lease or finance or straight up cash?

8. StealthMode

Loanage more than likely, and I want to keep it around $10,000. At least then I will have some payments that won't break me completely.

Stealth -

9. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I used to own a 99.5 A4 1.8T 5 speed quattro sport

Sport package is a must. Control arms go, timing belt/h20 pump/thermostat should be replaced at 60k (not according to what Audi says though), 97's have wastegate actuator problems which means bad turbos. Best models are 99.5+. 99.5 have all changes of 2000 minus DBW. Check out Audiworld or mnaudi.com since you a local boy.

fwiw, I now own a 2000 A6 2.7T :bigthumb: because my A4 was totalled. :wtc:

I said more here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=788849

*edit* 1.8T's make 150/155 hp/trq - Chipped they make 200/mid 200's. Totally different machines when chipped. Go from 8 sec 0-60 to high 6's/very low 7's. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  10. StealthMode

Thanx alot man! How's the insurance on these compared with similar cars? That's my other worry ;)

Stealth -

11. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

My insurance did go up, but not really all that much. I went from a 95 Dodge Intrepid to the 99.5 A4. This is comparing when I actually had full coverage on the Dodge. I paid 1400/year, full coverage, no tickets, no accidents, my own insurance (not under parents), 21 years old. That was a year and a half ago.

12. StealthMode

Well, thats good news, my record is unscathed :big grin: Helps my insurance out very nicely, specially being 19.

How do you like the handling, feel, power etc? I drive an 88 Nissan Maxima, so anything is an improvement (my swaybar in the back is gone, mounts rusted off, so you can imagine ;) ) I like the power though.

Stealth -

13. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

i'd consider reliability as an important factor and i just cant imagine a 98 a4 1.8t being that reliable. i'd expect most of the major mechanicals to hold up but its more likely little things will go wrong here and there but the maintenance costs will add up. personally i'd go for the subie as well if i was price constrained. the last thing u wanna do is pour lots of money into upkeeping a used car

fwiw, i own an '01 s4 and i love the car but i doubt i'll own it past its warranty expiration

14. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Quattro is always good :bigthumb:

15. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I really liked the handling on my old A4. Waaaaaay better than my A6. Granted a sport suspension and a couple hundred pounds will do that. It did understeer too much for my tastes, but oh well.

16. StealthMode

So, what is the A6 compared to the A4 exactly? Is it like Jetta vs Passat or what? I was a little confused about that.

Stealth -

17. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

The Golf, Jetta, TT, and A3 share a common platform. It is a small to midsize class. The Passat and A4 share the same platform (along with the S4). The Passat is slightly larger than the A4, but not that much. With the A4/Passat both larger than the Jetta. The A6 is bigger than the A4. It has a larger engine bay and much larger (as in it actually has one) back seat than the A4. The A8 and PhA8ton are last, but the A8 is aluminum and the PhA8ton is steel.

18. StealthMode

I haven't seen any A3's around, but I think I will end up with an A4 if I go this route anyhow. It seems to have all I am looking for and more.
    How can I tell if the model is a `99.5 or just a regular `99? :confused:

Stealth -

19. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

fwiw, A3's never came to the US. As far as determining 99 vs 99.5 here is the info:

First a 99.5 will not be labeled as such. It will still be 99 according to everybody besides an Audi enthusiast. Silver of the 99 cars is different than the 99.5 cars. Aluminum silver metallic vs Light Silver Metallic. Feb 99 was when the change occured. Different tail lights. Both are non dbw. DBW started with 00 cars.

have one piece headlights.
    side markers are clear
    washer jets under hood
    fogs in lower bumper
    rear badges in middle of trunk
    first year xenon's are offered is 00 but I believe you could get them at this time. As the only real difference between 00 and 99.5 is dbw and different color dash.

two piece headlights.
    yellow side markers (not the flash color but the actual lens color)
    washer jets on hood
    rear badges on upper part of trunk.

There are more but these are the important (and easy to see) ones. Oh I also THINK that they went to the full size passenger mirror at that time. As opposed to the reg driver/smaller passenger. Oh for the LOVE OF GOD get the sport package. You will :wtc: if you don't. If you are in love with a large fender gap and don't want the car to handle all that well then don't get it. Sport has different color shocks, different wheels, and a standard 3 spoke (best in the business) steering wheel.

20. StealthMode

Ok, thanx for the info, helps me out ALOT! But whats dbw? :o
    Also, how much extra are we talkin for the sport package?

Stealth -

21. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

dbw is drive by wire. You press the accelerator down and the car's computer determines how much gas to give it etc by how far you pushed it down. non dbw is just what all cars used to use. You push the pedal it opens 'er up.

With this year of model, sport package shouldn't add much if anything at all. Just depends on the car. Quattro, 1.8T, and 5 speed/auto are the big selling points you'll look at. Sport suspension equiped cars aren't rare (in A4 form....especially with the manual) so just look around. You'll see tons of 'em.

22. StealthMode

Whats the advantage with DBW if any? Just curious really.
    Man, I can't wait for this summer, I am really looking forward to getting this car.

Also, my dad was telling me that the 99 models got the galvanized frame, so no rust anymore, I was wondering if this applies to the Audi as well? Specially the model I am looking for.

Stealth -

23. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

I have a 98.5 2.8 Quattro, 5-Speed, Sport package, with snow tires it's the most traction I've ever had in any car I've ever driven in a car.

24. StealthMode

Sounds good, your from MN too eh? Which part?

25. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Audi's don't particularly rust much....ok, well the new ones anyway. The main advantage of DBW is that the computer controls the on/off of the gas (granted you say how much you want) so it is easier to get engines to perform better in terms of gas used. More important really for emissions sake. It is easier for the car to match everything for less pollution output with dbw. And being that emissions are so important now-a-days, most are switching over or have switched over already. Plus it is one less mechanical thing to go wrong...just one more electrical thing.

I live in IGH south of St. Paul. 494 and 35E area. I drive a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T 6 speed. Run snow tires in the winter and summers in the summer. Has quattro and winter package (heated seats are the bestest thing in the world. :bowdown: ). No performance pack though. :wtc: Oh well. Great car. The A4 handles better in the snow (with snow tires) but my A6 will still kill just about every other car out there in the snow. :wiggle: