Atx12v

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

Bought new power supply. I now have a new ATX12V 4 pin connecter for a 12v connection as well as the standard ATX connector. Now, I've been reading and I'm a little confused, so I took a break and decided to post here. Do I use both of these connectors? Is the extra 4 pin just for more power or is the older 4 pin there for older motherboards? Let me show you waht I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Am I to install both?

2. Accido

Accido New Member

Okay I started it up without one of the 12v connectors, but I can't used my secondary IDE connector. I switched the two harddrives with the two cdroms so that the hardrives were on the secondary IDE but the still nothing. It's like the port is dead. : -/ could this be something to do with the extra power cable I didn't connect or is there something in the bios I missed?

3. Accido

Accido New Member

I tried that and it didn't even start up. lol thought I fried the sucker. Anyway, I fixed the IDE problem through a bio setting; for some reason the bios disabled the secondary IDE device. Two new problems now:

1 no sound. I kinda saw this coming with the intergrated audio in motherboard and my old soundblaster live.

2 Something is terribly wrong with the front side bus. It says in bios, that the max front side bus is 133. Now I know that is hogwash, this is a pentium 4 processor. Both the board and processor boxes say 533, but I wish to set it to 400 for power reasons. is there something I'm missing? 3 years ago my old athlon ran 200,h FSB, now I can't run 133 on this new pentium 4?

4. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah, okay. This doesn’t make a sliver of sense. According to the motherboard and cpu, I can clock this system to 533mhz. In the bios, all I can clock it to is 133. I didn’t get is, so I read a little more and found that this is multiplied my a set cpu ratio, which I looked up and mine was set at 18.0. Makes sense, 133 * 18 = 2394, a little underclocked for the 2.4 pentium I just bought. Now, it clearly say I can jack this up to 533mhx fsb. Do they really think I’m going to clock my CPU to 9ghz?! I can’t change the multiplier. :-\

5. Accido

Accido New Member

I bought a cheap soyo with spare christmas money from tigerdirect.com. I usually have people build computers for me. This can't be right though.The motherboard is a sy-p4vda.

6. Accido

Accido New Member

In regards to my sound problem:

[​IMG]

Am I on the right track? I didn't think having no sound would really bother me this much, but it really is starting to get annoying. :-\

7. dm33186

dm33186 Guest

plug in 1 of the 12 volts, the 4 pin molex like the hard drive one is for if you dont have a power supply with the 4pin square connector. do not plug in both

8. Accido

Accido New Member

:big grin: :o

9. Accido

Accido New Member

...Well I fixed the sound issue. Apparently, because the sound card was in the pci port right above the AGP it caused a failsafe because they share the same IRQ. I had to install it on pci port 5.

Now if only I can figure out this FSB issue.

10. dm33186

dm33186 Guest

400 fsb = 133 x 4
    533 = 133x4
    its quad pumped i think is the term set it to 133 and you will be fine

edit :typo

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2003
  11. Accido

Accido New Member