ATX Power Supply Timer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Conrad10781, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Conrad10781

Conrad10781 New Member

I have been searching around for a solution for a problem I have. I am an admin for a local Century 21. The problem they are running into is, currently to keep employees etc, from abusing bandwith and just plain wasting time, they have the computers shut down at 6PM. They used to just block Internet access at that time, but employees found ways around that. but now I guess its just as bad, because all they do is turn the machine back on, waste time, and bandwith. The boss really doesn't mind if in their free time (that sometimes they have a lot of) if they browse internet etc. He is just wound up when it is after hours.

Never the less, the only thing I can sort of think of, would be (if it was made) a small device that could go between the ATX motherboard connector from the power supply and the actual board, that maybe had a timer in it, so you could not even turn it back on until say 8am.

I am open for suggestions if this is not possible. I saw some Wake On LAN software that had some locking capabilities, but it was software, and just figured, it was going to lead to someone getting around it.

2. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

You should be able to lock down whatever router you have anyway, you should not have to have a hardware lock on each pc, there are many software solutions you can use first, I know we use surfcontrol, and you can set up access times within that, or limit their access to sites that only are pertinent to their job. Sometimes you have to spend some money to save it, make this clear to the people that sign the purchase orders....

3. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

And as long as they don't have admin access to the machine that runs surfcontrol, they are going to have a hard time circumventing in. When people go through that much trouble to get around a method that is supposed to keep them productive here, they end up on the street. People get paid to work, not to screw around on the internet.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think the more effective solution would be to fire anybody caught abusing the network more than 3 times or something like that. Take the locks off their doors too. The problem isn't your network management, it's your employee management.