ATV/Quad Crew: Good beginner size?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Joshuaua, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Joshuaua

Joshuaua OT Supporter

In the market to possibly pick one up so I can go out with a bunch of buddies, and I'm just curious what the best size would be for me at 165lbs. I've ridden a few old ass quads, but nothing very new....would a 250cc be decent to start up? I've been seeing the Honda 250EX and a lot of them are in my price range, as well as the Yamaha Raptors. Should I just get something bigger so I won't have to upgrade later? Any light you can shed would be nice, gracias :wavey:

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Quads are easier to learn on than bikes. I learned on big 400cc+ hunting quads and built blasters & warriors when I was like 12 and weighed 50lbs less. Though, I dont suggest hopping on a built warrior until you have some experience.

Get a bigger bike, just dont get throttle happy until you have plenty of experience. Sure, a 250cc 4 stroke would let you have fun, but in a straightline race, bigger quads will smoke you. It's no fun jetting down dirt roads literally in your friend's dust.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

a warrior 350 or 300ex would be a good choice both are brick simple are reliable

my girlfriend had a 250ex when she was 14......

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

get an LT500

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

a Honda 250ex will keep up with quite a few of the larger quads. those hunting quads are a lot heavier too. I would just ride around on a few of them to see what you like. I have always been gravitated to the 4x4 300-500cc quads more for the sportsman/hunter rather than the racer/speed guy. I would try to get an all around quad a first time around.

Hell...I still play around on my 2001 suzuki 160lt and still think it's fun, but in terms of keeping up w/ your buddies and not looking like a loser, something bigger would definitely be in order.

have fun.

6. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I have Raptor 700. 400ex good starter.