ATV Crew: Best 350-400cc utility ATV?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chandojmc, May 23, 2005.

1. chandojmc

chandojmc New Member

My parents are buying two new ATVs for hunting and they are letting me choose which ones. I really like the Yamaha Bruin 4x4...you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

Polairs
    Sportsman 400 or the Magum 330
    Honda
    Fourman, Fourtrax, the Rancher

3. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

The Bruin is a great ATV man, if you want a great ATV at a medium scale price, the Bruin will not disappoint. Since the Kodiak has moved up from a 400 to a 450 (basically a mini-Grizz now with full IRS, digital display, diff lock & higher price to boot), the Bruin pretty much takes over where the Kodiak used to be (complete with CVT tranny) with 50cc less displacement. I have a 2001 Kodiak 400 Ultramatic and I love it; the current 350 Bruin is almost exactly the same ATV now.

The thing to remember with a Yamaha ATV is that it may not have some of the cushy features that some of the other manufacturers have, but the engine durability and drivetrain toughness is always there.

I would second the recommendation for a Honda ATV as well, but not a Polaris. I've worked at a multi-line dealership for several years and the Polaris quality/durability overall is very poor. I'll be the first to admit that they have an unbeatable ride, but that's where the buck stops. Their engines seem very "dead" due to the extreme "cushion drive" built into their drivetrains in order to keep the feeling smooth. This can be remedied with an aftermarket clutch kit, but who wants to fool around with that?

Hope this helps.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my advice is to run as far away as you can get from polaris

get a honda for reasons stated above

5. Pro-X

Pro-X New Member

I agree that Honda is definatly the way to go.

6. dhacmbs

dhacmbs OT Supporter

honda rocks