Attn: Ubuntu Pros

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by elixir4001, Oct 9, 2006.

1. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

Well supposedly Ubuntu forms are supposed to be pretty helpful and i had one guy reply but it didnt help so i turned here cause i know you guys know pretty much everything!!:bowdown:...so here is the post i posted there:
    Hello everyone! I just installed ubuntu for the first time on my Gateway 400VTX laptop a couple days ago. So far i am really impressed...never having used linux before[​IMG] . However one problem i see which seems like everyone has...and ive looked and tried pretty much everything. But my stupid screen resolution will just not change. (yes i know another resolution question) If anyone has some insight on how to help me tell me and ill tell you if ive tried it. graphics card: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device

also how do i turn off the annoying tapping of the mousepad being seen as a double click?
    thanks all!!
    -alex
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1595856#post1595856

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

If you want 1280x1024 change it to:
    Or whatever resolution you want - the first in the list will be used (or tried, I think) first.

3. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

well im wanting the 1024x768 but it doesnt even show it as selectable, just 800x600 and 640x480...i guess i should have specified, i thought i did thats probably why no one helped on the other one..whoops:doh:

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

This is most likely a driver issue. I had the same thing with my NVidia drivers but your's are Intel....hmmm....perhaps check the Intel site for Linux drivers.

You could also open synaptic and do a search for Intel and see if you get some packages. This takes some patience and time to resolve because you will most likely need to install multiple packages. I'll explain what I had to do for my Nvidia drivers and perhaps that will help you troubleshoot your issue.

From the desktop go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. When that launches do a search ( I searched for Nvidia you should prolly search for Intel). The you have to read. My search returned about 25 different packages and I didn't need to install them all. There were some for K7 processors, some for i386 and some for i686. Since my CPU is an AMD Athalon I chose the K7 drivers AND some of the other ones below. However, I had to play around with this are reboot a couple of times before I figured out the right combination of packages to install...so hang in there and try not to get too frustrated.

You can also install Automatix because it has a TON of stuff to make you Ubuntu install much more pleasant. It has Nvidia drivers also installed so I actually didn't need to do the first thing....oh well.

Here's a thread to automatix
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405

Anyways I hope that helps.

5. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

hmm it didnt help cootie i couldnt find anything that i hadnt already installed regarding intel:wtc: but that automatix is nice!! it helped with my mp3 problem:wiggle:

6. Coottie

Damn...have you tried to google for the drivers? It might be that your particular video interface is not capeable of higher resolutions...but I doubt that. OR it could be that it emulates an Nvidia, ATI, Voodoo or other manufacturer and there might be drivers available for that.

7. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

ok well i found a driver i think, now the problem is i just dont know how to install it:mamoru:. Yes it is capable of doing 1024x768 b/c gateway says it does plus thats what it was running when i had Win XP on it.

driver: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html

8. Coottie

This is the first paragraph from that site you linked.

I agree as I've never had any success working with tarballs...well ok I can't say that. I have had SOME success but I don't like it and I don't know what I'm doing. If I were in your shoes, I would not try to install the tarballs myself and instead I would use synaptic package manager to search for packages named similar to what is displayed there.

9. samm

samm Next in Line

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-driver-i810

10. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

hmm well it says newest version is already installed. There has got to be some way to get 1024x768 out of this b/c windows did it. I'm just confused and ive looked around and seen other people with this model have the same problem with no concrete fixes yet.

11. samm

samm Next in Line

1. open a shell and type (this will kill your window manager): sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    2. login to the virtual console
    3. type: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    4. select the appropriate resolution

12. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

nothing:wtc:...I'm beginning to quit on this stupid thing, 800x600 is killing my eyes

13. Coottie

That's sux...I wish I could help. I've been so frustrated with Red Hat and other distros I just gave up. I never could get it working right. Ubuntu has seriously been the most fun I've ever had with any operating system. I've spent entire weekends just downloading and playing around with new software. It's all so easy, free and fun that I can't believe it's free!

I hope you get your video issues resolved because IMO Ubuntu is the most impressive Linux distro out there.

14. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

yea i wish i could get it fixed too. So far linux is awesome and i dont want to get rid of it..so i think i will just deal with it. Maybe someone will find a fix at somepoint. hopefully soon:x:....besides that, anyone know how i can turn off my mouse double click thing, my mouse is one of those touchpads and when you tap it, it counts as a double click which i hate because i lift my finger off sometimes and put it back on and clicks on things i dont want:nono:

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

By any chance is there anything laptop-scecific in Desktop > Prefs > Mouse?

I guess you could decrease the double-click timeout.

16. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

yea there is a mouse pref but there isnt many options and this isnt one of them..