Attn: tf and others, DIY subwoofers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

no idea. that looks pretty wicked tho

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15"
    Sound Splinter RL-P15

4. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

download a program called WinISD. Get the pro version. It has preloaded specs for a wide selection of drivers, and it's easy to input parameters for drivers that they do not have.

I've used it to design a few sub boxes, including one i used with a computer system for awhile and i've always had good results. Play around with it for a bit until you come up wit hsomething you like, and then go on google and search for something like "speaker box calculator" to determine the demensions and get an idea of how you want it to look.

If your only real goal is to beat those subs, I'd be looking to build something with dual 15's (or 18's if you have alot of space) using Adire Audio Tumult Drivers. Add an outboard amplifier with an equalizer in front of it and you have a versatile, big, very powerful subwoofer. With EQ, you could probably even squeaze dual 15 inch tumults in to a relatively "small" box, and use the EQ to smooth out the sharp roll off you'd have.

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I was just going to say a couple Tumults and a huge amp would do the job rather nicely. This begs the question though, what application do you have that needs more muscle than that SVS can deliver? :big grin:

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the wanting of club level bass

7. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Having heard a couple of the big SVS tubes in a good-sized house I can only imagine what a setup with what, 3-4 times output would do :eek4: As it is I rarely see clubs that can match that rig :cool: