Attn: Techies v.ineedserioushelp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dannycam, May 25, 2004.

1. Dannycam

Dannycam Guest

really need help....

i work at a law firm, and i have been asked to do research re: Bellsouth DSL 3mbps DSL connection and 6+ computers....

I need to know what would be the best router to connect these computers and what would be, if any the compromise in speed if all where on at the same time?

has anyone used Bellsouth DSL?

please advise of anything else that i might be missing....

thanx

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I'm no expert when it comes to this type of question, but I would imagine that if 6 people on the same connection were trying to do the exact same thing at the exact same time, then you can expect each person to get 1/6th the speed you'd get if only one person were doing that same thing. As far as routers go, you'd probably need to look for something commercial. I don't think there are very many consumer-grade routers designed to run 6+ computers on one connection.

Then again, you could probably get a router and a switch, connecting as many computers to the router as you can while leaving one port open to connect the switch, on which you could connect the rest of the computers...

I currently use Bellsouth DSL (Ultra, not Xtreme, yet...) It is decent. I've only had problems with them a couple of times, ie. connection would just drop for no reason. Don't expect to get much help from Bellsouth's customer support, though. They're a bunch of idiots most of the time...

3. Dannycam

Dannycam Guest

thanxs....

Bigger question is, is there a better approach in connecting 6 computers to a fast internet service that will a) be cheap and b) be good?

they are chargin us $65 + router for the 3mb service, and i just want to make sure that this is a good approach.

4. Dannycam

Dannycam Guest

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Just need to shop around locally for the best deal. For your setup (SOHO), one connection, a router and a switch is all you need.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Given that this is a Law firm and this broadband access is needed for just Internet access (assuming??), a normal soho 8-port nat switch would be fine. Now if you guys are using this pipe to move large amounts of data around then I don't think DSL is your answer.

But if this is just to get 6 pc's connected to the Internet over broadband, just to check email, browse the web for info, download occasionally, then the stuff you get from CompUSA is fine. If you need to serve anything, then that's another story.

Yes, there would be a compromise in speed if all 6 users were downloading at the same time. Not on at the same time.

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

as they all said, a basic SOHO was made for this purpose. Make sure your computers all have NIC's in them as well. 3mb is plenty fast for 6 people to use, no worries about that.