Attn: Sub Experts, can I get a little feedback?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scott P, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

I am thinking of ordering one of the Elemental e12k.14 subs and powering it with a polk/momo 500.1 and filtering the sub to 80hz and below in a 1.0 cubic foot sealed box. I know aesthetically it is the look i would like to go for for the setup box/amp rack I am building, but no one around here has even heard of elemental, and I was curious is anyone on OT has heard or used elemental in their cars? What did you think, is it worth $135?

2. STA

STA Guest

glocksrocks I think has elemental subs

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

ive heard they are good. Id look for a different amp. Ive heard the polk/momo stuff is overpriced.

4. Scott P

they are overpriced at retail, but i get work for an authorized dealer, so I can get it for about 180

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

wouldn't you have to put a microphone somewhere in your car if you wanted to get feedback?

6. Scott P

wtf?

7. 04

04 Guest

He was joking ;) :o

In the title it said feeback, and well you know what happens when you put a microphone up to a speaker :eek:

8. Scott P

meh I know, just had annoying day at the shop and lost my sense of humor for a moment. by the way i am curious to hear what you think of elemental if you have a opinion at all on them :x:

9. 04

04 Guest

Well I have never personally heard an eD sub, so I won't comment on that. But as far as their parameters go, they are quite a good for the price. They also look to be manufactured quite well, and I have never heard anyone speak badly about them.

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have an Adire sub and every large Audio shop in HOUSTON has never heard of it. When you ask them the best subs on the market they say, lw6 or lw7. They don't mention XXX, Brahma, or IDMAX. People that work in the car audio world don't know anything outside of mainstream and don't expect them too. They are in the business to make money.

I made my box for my brahma and had them install and run my wiring (which they did wrong and I had to re-do) and my sub was holding it's own against a 3000$ install of a lw7 in a truck they had there. It was a custom setup/box the works. I had spent a couple days myself making my first box WITH NAILS and bustin my ass on a sloppy but workable port (actually turned out pretty nice) and my sub was holding firm. They still weren't impressed although they know what Adire Audio is now. :)

Elemental has been bouncing around the market for a couple years so far. There are no issues I've ever seen in all the posts. The public always gives you the best knowledge. Elemental has literally been in a thousand cars and I've seen many many posts and none of them talk about design flaws or early burn-outs. :dunno: I'd say the market has tested them adaquately. (for example the brahma lead slap popped up fairly quickly (5-8 months :dunno: ) after it hit the market) :dunno: If your buying new then your good to go under a warrenty anyway. ;)

11. Scott P

thanks for the info. i know what you mean about most shops being worthless about info on stuff they don't carry, the other day in my own shop i was talking to one of the other installers, telling him about wanting to get my hands on a davinci series amp (now this guy thinks he knows all about high end car audio, and even though i never specifically said soundstream, i would have thought it was a relatively well known amp) and he had no clue what i was talking about and tried to tell me that jl had the best amps out. I really could go on and on about the morons i have run into at various shops, but i'll digress. . .

12. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I have some elemental subs...

As far as eD never having problems, well...yeah they have... Every manufacturer has and will, it just happens... QC is really tight there though, and those previous problems are not around anymore, mainly because of the switch of buildhouses from Resonance and Destijl to TC Sounds (I think I'm correct on this one, someone catch me if I'm not).... They are a new company (2 years old this month actually!) and are using nothing spectacularly groundbreaking, but technology and methods that most other companies are not using so they will run into some issues, but have been very quick to turn around and fix these

I honestly wouldn't hesitate to buy anymore, and may do so in the future... Their products, while changing price minimally have shot up incredibly in performance for the dollar... For example, the original A series was similar to an older DD 35-- series, and had a price tag of around 220 for the 12... Now you get the A series 12 for what, 295 or something? And it absolutely crushes its predecessor.. Having little marketing, only factory direct sales, etc helps keep the price low

Performance Auto & Sound has a 10 O review in their current issue, ME had the 12A a couple of months back, which I have a copy of if there are any questions (the woofer was tested by Nousaine)

Good company, run by a really great guy, backed by some other really great guys...

EASILY worth the 135/piece

13. denim

denim New Member

the K's are decent subs,ED have been making good subs for a while, but recently many of their subs, from my experience have had too many failures

14. BlkX

BlkX New Member

They've had a few...and let me stress a FEW, problems with some of the newer model subs. The primary problem was having the cones on the 15A crack...that was probably a design flaw. Probably a reason (even though eD doesn't claim this) that they are going to redesign their line to not include the flat cone.

I personally would wait til they have their new design out and see what's they look like.

15. GSteg

GSteg Member

They went from Destijl to TC Sound. :)

16. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

before that they were at resonance tho :hs:

17. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

pardon me for not keeping up on eD news, I really haven't, but other than some of the 15A cone issues what else has their been recently?

overall I don't think that the flat cone was really any advantage at all...

but yes, I'd wait for new design as well...they always have tricks up their sleeves

18. denim

denim New Member

thats the issues I am pretty much reffering to, there have been a slew of members on the www.caraudio.com forums that had problems with them, but never fear, ED is redoing their sub line up for 2004 apparently

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I <3 my eD E15A. I think you will be very pleased with the K series, go ported for more output if that is what you are looking for. Can't beat that sub for the price.