Attn ScottWax: Summer Detailing Job

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jaccordan, May 10, 2004.

1. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

Me and my buddy wanted to start detailing cars on the weekends.

I wanted to make flyers and pass them around work and teh nieghborhood. I know i would most likely get a nice amount of customers to keep me busy for a while.

Can you answer the following questions as best you can?

(1) How can i advertize this buisness? Flyers? Buisness cards?

(2) How much could two college kids charge for a job?

(3) What jobs are uaully done? (Clean inside and out, Detail inside and out, Wash and wax, Shampoo interior???)

(4) How many cars would it be possible to do in a day? Given 6 hours of work.

(5) Any tips for us?

(6) Any dangers to detailing?

I've done my share of detailing before. I always do my own cars and feel i do a pretty good job. Are there any templated for making flyers for this stuff?

Thanks man.

2. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

Hey Jaccordan~

I know I'm not Scottwax, but, I'd be willing to bet that one of the tips would be to sign up over at Autopia.org and check out their forums.

There's a board over there that specifically answers quite a few of these *beginner-type* detailer questions.

Good luck with your business. :bigthumb:

3. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

thanks

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Also, check with quamen and search for some of his threads, he just started his own detailing business. He may have some tips to share with you.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

EMT and JointBreaker beat me to it. The pro forum at www.autopia.org has a ton of information.

6. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

IM gonna go to the forum you suggested. But i have one question, why refer people to the other board? Why not do you best to give information here? You might aswell just put the link in teh sticky just directing people to that site. They gave you all this forum to generate posts to help people.

Im not bashing anyone, im just saying, if you step back and look at it, it doesnt make much sence :dunno:

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

This forum isn't about starting your own business. We have another forum for that. This is simply advice for the driveway detailer, mostly. The "weekend warrior" if you will.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Why? Because quite honestly, I just don't have the time to type out a 20-30 page thread. If I was going to do that, I'd put it in book form and sell it if I am going to do all that work. Seriously, it would take me several hours at a minumum to completely and thoroughly respond to every aspect of starting a business.

Like EMT said, this is more of an enthusiasts detailing forum rather than a pro forum.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im not scott but i will second the join autopia i will make an attempt to answer your questions Im basicly in the same situation you are

1. flyers are good my best advertisng is word of mouth i did a few casrs for a lower price of peopel that i knew had alot of frends with nice cars this has paid off 10 fold

2 i charge 130 and up depening on the job suvs are more if the car is in crappy condition its more i usaly give an estimate before i do the car

3. I have a few packages full detail where i do every thing out side i do at a minumum a swril remove a glaze and a wax. inside i clean dust out of the little cracks wax door jabs vacume stain remove interior clean seats then dress every thing. also do the engine bay clean and dress hoses. Then i brake down to smaller packages form there i have a wash and wax i do or just the interior ect.

4. it takes me up wards of 8 hours to do a full car but you have two people

5. Take your time quaitly work is like free advertiszing but if you do a crappy job chances are you wont get a call back

6. it is possible to ruin paint its also possible to make the engine not run do to water in teh engine caompartment you can strip color off of interior parts you can leave stains on door seals ect.

hope this helps