Attn: Scottwax, help a detailer on budget out.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Buck-O, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ok, so my budget is REALLY strapped lately. Thanks to alot of bullshit (long story).

Anyway, im detailing to keep food on teh table, and a roof over our heads. So i have to pick an choose my products. And i cant afford to buy shit ill never use again.

Anyway, heres what im in need of.

Glaze.
    Carnuba Wax.
    Sealent.
    Cutting pad.

For glaze i was going to go with Vanilla Moose. But ive read a couple of posts that said Machine Red Moose was actually BETTER then Vanilla Moose? This true? OR should i just go witht he Vanilla and call it good. Ive never used ClearKote products, so i have nothing to base them off of. Before this, my glaze of choise was S100 SEPC becuase it was cheap, and locally avliable. Since that ran out, ive been useing SR2.0 preaty regularly before my LSP (NXT liquid) and it has had some great results.

Speaking of which...ive been debating going with the Meg's Speed Glaze as well...as a "or maybe this..." product to have handy as well. Your thoughts?

As far as carnuba wax, ive been useing S100...that to has run out, and im contemplating taking the plunge into Poorboys...how do you rate the Nattys Paste Wax?

Also in the poorboys camp...and in my sealent group, is Poorboys EX-P im really curious about it. AGain, never used it, wanted your oppinion on if i really need it, or should just be content with what i have in NXT, and a carnuba, or have it for another "or maybe this..." for certain colors?

Now, ive been useing Megs pads on my porter cable for EONS...i finally caught a hinge on a jeep (which had lost its beuty cover thanks to a garage door closing on it) and tore the shit out of it. So of course i need to replace it now. Plus the backing has been slowly coming off too...but tis over two years old...so ive more then got my moneys worth out of it. The question i have is, are the lake county Orange pads as abrasive as the red megs cutting pad? And should i consider getting them over the megs? Or is there another brand you would recemend?

Also, and though this isnt on my list...my main polish's have been DACP, and SR2.0. Im thinking of trying out Optimum Car Polishm, as well as the Poor Boys SSR line. It seems alot of people really dig the SSR2.5 but again, i have no experience with them, and would like some input on how well they work, and if you would recemend useing them in consort witht he meguires products, and where in the polishing stepping they would fit.

I know its alot of shit...but i thank you in advance for your time.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd go with SSR2.5 as your aggressive polish, #80 or Optimum for your regular duty polish (although #80 breaks down more quickly...an advantage on paint in good shape, Optimum works longer, advantage to deeper defect removal), and Vanilla Moose as your glaze. I think Red Machine Glaze is deeper on darker colors, but VM with a polishing pad will remove light defects while RMG is more of a chemical cleaner like AIO.

I prefer EX w/carnauba over EX-P because it is a little deeper on dark paint and seems a bit more durable...although since both have been tweaked lately, the durability might be more equal. If you can find 1Z Glanz Wax, it is amazing over metallics, very durable and economical. Maybe a 1/2 ounce MAX per vehicle.

The Propel Pads at www.exceldetail.com are a bit cheaper than most other pads, work well and come in 5 grades of aggressiveness. They also carry the 4" Propel pads, Optimum, Clearkote and Poorboy's products.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:bowdown:

Ok, SSR2.5, Optimum, #80, VM, EX* ill have to do some more research and decide especially witht he new formulations, and a couple of Propel pads and the rest from Excel.

Thanks Scott...your a true friend of the detail comunity!! :bowdown:

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

ARGH!!!!!!

:mad:

Damnit!

Excell Detail only uses PayPal!!!

WTF?!

I HATE PayPal...and refuse to use them as a result of them screwing up my checking account a couple years back.

Any other place you recemend to get the stuff i need?

5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

When businesses use merchant processing companies for Visas and MC transactions, theres typically costs associated with EVERY transaction, monthly memberships fees, monthly processing fees, not to mention start up fees. Guess where those fees get passed ? The company Im currently considering will charge me $50.00 per month, even if I dont use them, $.30 per transaction, and then take an additional 2.29% of the sale......Now you understand why lower prices, are "lower priced".....

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Believe you me...i have been involved with several small privately owned business's for several years now. And i FULLY understand the costs and fees associated with credit card transactions...and dont even get me started on debit cards...thats a whole other ball of wax.

Please dont get me wrong, i know that you as a business have to look after your bottom dollar, and supply the customer with the prices they expect. And i in NO WAY meant disrespect to your company. As i wouldent have even considered to do business with you if i felt otherwise.

However, i have had two bad experiences with PayPal one nearly 3 years ago, and the other about 18 months back. Both times they overcharged my account and failed to process my transaction properly. And then refunded the money incorrectly, so baddly that on both occasions, that my bank and the person i was transacting withs bank had to get involved and take care of the transaction first hand, and then deal with PayPal seperately. After the first situation i let it slide and try it again to see if it was any different...after signing back up, my 4th transaction with them had the same thing happen again. Since then i refuse to use PayPal in any way shape or form. Becuase i dont want to deal with the hastle again.

So i hope you understand my possision, just as much as i respect and understand yours.

I wish i didnt need this stuff sooner then later, otherwise i would go through the trouble of doing it via check or moneyorder.

7. Scottwax

Patrick is pretty quick on verifying checks and shipping, FYI.

8. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Oh I understand, no harm done! Sometimes people think that M/C or Visas are absolutes. I just wanted to let you know they werent satisfying my budget or hunger yet. I usually ship things out the same time, be it check, M/O, or PayPal, unless i have reason not to believe someone. I do believe in the honor system. If you havent found what your looking for as of yet, just let me know, we can work something out favorable to the two of us. :wavey:

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You guys dont have it listed on your site...but do you have Nattys?
    And, id like to get the EX plus Carnuba (after researching), but you only have EX-P listed.

Nevermind, i called Patrick, and got the skinny from him, and he will hook me up with what i need.

I'll definatly be buying from Patrick again. :bigok:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2005
  10. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Nice to have chatted with you Buck-O!!

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Great to have chatted with you too.

I just checked your site tonight...firday...and i see that you still dont have EX w/ Carnuba, or Nattys listed.

Any idea on when you will have those up?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  12. Scottwax

Patrick has always been great to deal with. :)

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yeah, very down to earth. And he knows his shit to.

I hate going into body/paint shops and picking up detail products and having the guys try and convince me otherwise on a differnt product.

14. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Oh, a little OT...but i have a question about #80.

I used it on my personal car the other day. Fucking WOW! I wish i would have pisked this stuff up sooner. What a differnce it makes in the depth of the flake in the paint.

Anyway, i caught a good glimpse of the car in the light today, and noticed i had some very fine micromaring and ghosting (kinda like haloing, but it shifts with the light source and direction).

My process was DACP with a cutting pad (thanks to my neighbors and never having doen a full detail on it yet) at speed 4, then DACP with a polishing pad at speed 5, then #80 with a polishing pad at speed 6. Topped with NXT and a finishing pad at speed 3.5 - 4. All Megs Soft Buff pads.

My question is, should i be useing the #80 with a finishing pad? Or was it the PC orbit speed that did it?

Fortunatly its only the bottom half of the door that seems to catch it, but its still annoying none the less, and id like to get it right.

15. Scottwax

Sounds like DACP wasn't worked long enough to be broken down (last couple of passes I up the speed to 6) or the burgandy pad was too aggressive for that particular paint and #80 didn't completely remove the marring. With #80, I start off at 5, spread it around at a moderately slow pace, maybe 4-6 inches per second, for a couple overlapping passes, then up the speed to 6 and slow way down, maybe 1/2 to 1" per second using moderate pressure (apply pressure to the PC until it begins to bog then ease off until it just stops bogging and use that pressure) for a couple passes. You will see #80 clear out. If it doesn't wipe off cleanly or easily, you didn't work it long enoughor used too much product.

16. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Probably wont ship until Tuesday ! Hopefully I can get it online Saturday Bryce !

17. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Thank you sir..........

18. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ive worked with DACP for quite a while, so im preaty familier with how it breaks down, and i too usually speed up the PC to 5.5 - 6 on the final couple passes to get the polishes working.

With the #80 i worked it similarly to SR2.0 which is a similar routine to what you use with #80. Starting with faster passes to spread it out at lower speed, them moving to slower passes at faster speeds to bring the polish out. #80 responded about the way i thought it would. Infact i was suprised at how well it finished out, considering how much it looks and feels like #7 which can be a pain if used improperly.

I think my problem was that my burgendy cutting pad was brand new. And may have been a little to course with no product loaded into it, and the foam cells not fully broken down internally on the pad from heat cycling, and pressure.

I just wanted to make sure i wasnt useing to hot of a polishing pad with the #80. Or doing somthing horridly wrong.

I think it was just a combination of me useing a new cutting pad, and rushing a little bit (got all of that done in just 3.5 hours).

Thanks as always.

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Cool, when it gets there it gets there.

Ill be out of town all this weekend. So you probibly wont see my order till monday or tuesday as it is.

Everything will work out just fine.

Thanks again Patrick.

Maybe you should get into the customer service business and write a book on it. ;)

20. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

I certainly appeciate your compliment !