ATTN: resident car audio experts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lawnboy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

ok, im ordering my stereo setup for my 03 WRX before it comes in so when i get it i can install it all. What I want:

single DIN am/fm receiver w/ integrated fold out monitor
    4 replacement speakers (1 for each door)
    trunk mounted 2 10" subs and boxes, or 1 12" sub
    trunk mountedCD changer
    dvd player

So far i have only ordered a DIN pocket out of a legacy to fill the space of the extra DIN from the factory :o

now, i have a ton of questions because i know very little about car audio.

first off, why all the knocking of SONY XPLODE products? to me, theyre a well known name at a reasonable price.

second, when it comes to head units, what does the 4x whatever amount of watts mean? and the higher the watts, the better, right?

third, ifi got a different brand head unit, different speakers, and different subs, would they all work together fine? Also, is there a way with cheaper aftermarekt heads like this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371619822
    and this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1372466367
    to adjust the settings of the speakers, such as bass and treble?

cna i adjust the level of bass on 10" or 12" sony xplode subs? is there an easy way to turn them off also?

thanks, im a noob when it comes to car audio and it shows!

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

xplode is junk
    you can mix and match subs and spekers and amps no problem your betteroff running you speakers off an amp than off the deck so the 4x?? dosent matter that much

flip out screens and dvd players are expensive are you sure you realy want one?

3. 04

04 Guest

Sony Explode is knocked perhaps because they focus more on flashy looking and flashy sounding speakers, as opposed to having neutral, accurate speakers. :dunno:

The 4x watts or whatever is meaningless. Do not look at the power output spec on any of the cd players, it is always innacurate.

You can mix and match brands, they will work together. I would suggest against Sony Explode speakers and subwoofers, I have heard them and am not impressed. If you care more about how your system looks than how it sounds, then go with Sony speakers, otherwise, pick a different brand, IMHO. Sony's headunits are fine, and I have no experience with their amplifiers.

4. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

The easiest way to adjust bass on the fly is to either get an amp that has a remote bass controller or a crossover that has one. The best value I have found on the crossover is the Lanzar Vibe X6. It is a 3-way crossover with remote bass controller. Most class d amps made today come with this also. I also agree that you should run an external amp to your replacement speakers. If you do this, you should get a head unit with 4 volt pre outs. And an alarm wouldn't be a bad idea either. I really don't like Sony Xplode stuff. It just seems cheaply made. If you like Sony try to find one of the old Mobile ES head units.

5. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

good explanation. i forgot all about the amps :doh:

i do need an amp tho, what are some good ones w/ adjustable bass? how many will i need?

6. Dos Equis4

Dos Equis4 nebraska democrat (oxymoron?)

how much do you want to spend? there are a billion ways to do it.. cost comes in as one of them. a monitor/dvd/changer combo is gonna be about 2500 retail.. i would suggest you purchase these from a local retailer, as if you have problems, you still have a warranty, many companies, such as eclipse, alpine etc. do not offer a warranty unless purchased from an authorized dealer.

so, whats the price range? then we can go from there.

7. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

i woudl liek to spend about $1000 or less all in all. thats right, cheaper prodcuts, buti still want good sound. I plan on buying a cheap ass pyle am/fm reciever with monitor and hte dvd player. my hookup cna get that all for me for around $350. the rest goes into the afformentioned things.......

8. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

You should look into a class d amp for your subs. Something along the lines of a Cadence A5HC, JBL 600.1, MTX 6500D, Memphis 500d. I believe all of the above have remote bass.

9. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

there is a reason they are called a pyle. And with a deck that has bad sound will come with bad sounding stereo.

10. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ill im you and send you pics of a WRX i just did not that long ago and sounded excellent

whats your email account max file size?

11. 04

04 Guest

Care to elaborate? If I recall correctly, Mark Eldridge won the IASCA SQ title from using his STOCK Jeep headunit as the source unit for his amplifiers. I would venture to say that stock units and Pyle are about in the same quality and feature range, wouldnt you? If all he is using the unit is to feed his external amplifiers, then I see no reason why a cheap deck wouldnt sound good. Now, that doesnt neccessarily mean he should buy it, there are other considerations, such as reliability and features.

12. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

please we all know his system would be eqed to all hell and im sure he uses line drivers and many other lovely product.. You really should go look at this stuff instead of just saying well he used a stock deck thats is NOT the case. He didnt just use a stock deck and a line converter to his amps. 99% of consumers will not be able to use a stock deck and yield the same results.. QUIT IT!!!

13. 04

04 Guest

HUH?

Thats what I am doing in my car. I have no EQ, I just run my amplifiers to a cheap Navone 30 dollar LOC off the factory ford head unit. It sounds fine to me! Obviously it probably is not as good as your system, since you spent more time and money on it, but I would not say it sounds bad, infact mine sounds better IMHO than my brothers, who actually does use an aftermarket deck and runs patch cables to the amplifiers.

It really is not very hard to do, a 30 dollar part... Also, the EQ issue is a moot point, since any car that wants a flat frequency response is going to need equilization. I have never heard of a car interior that did not affect the output of the speakers significantly.

14. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I believe that was Ira Senoff and he placed second. But good points none the less.

15. 04

04 Guest

Hey BobG!!! I thought you had left OT! :wavey:

16. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Nah. Work, then a week vacation. Went back home (Chicago area) for a week. Didn't have access to a computer.

17. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

18. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Sony Xplode HUs suck hard core, take it from me as I had mine back for a new laser 3 times and the display fades out or stops all the time.

For the cheap I suggest the JBL 600.1 and one Adire Audio Shiva (12" sub) for a great sub combo under 400 bones.

19. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

is the jbl 600 a head unit or speakers :o

20. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

It's the amp, hehe. I dunno, I seem to be the only one, but I wouldn't put a system in a WRX. If I did, it would be very modest and light. If you wanted a car to pimp in, you should have gotten the Maxima. :slap:

21. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

i'm in highschool. let me have my fun :p

22. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Don't mind loud he's just and id head :big grin:!

23. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

any ideas of brands, guys?

24. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

All depends on your budget. If you like SQ or SPL more. All that junk.

25. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

$1100 max. and now im considering ditching the monitor and dvd player.