Attn PS2 users: How the hell do I get the memory cards to work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Inconspicuous, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Resident LT1 Guru

OK, I just got a PS2 for X-Mas, and I went out and bought Ace Combat 4 tonight (great game, BTW).
    I also got a starter pack with the PS2 that contained a memory card and a CD with a program called "Memory Manager Plus" on it. It says you have to run this program every time you start up the system so it will recognize the cards. Well, I have done that now, numerous times, and the system sees the card, yet when I start up the game itself, it tells me that there is no card in the slot and that I can't save any games.

What the hell am I doing wrong here? When using the Memory Manager Plus program, I take that CD out and put in the game CD, then go to the Browser and start the game. No matter which way I do it, it never seems to read the card at the beginning of the game, even though the Browser sees the damn card!! WTF!!

Someone please help!! I'm already annoyed with this damn thing!! :mad: :mad: :cool:

2. GrassHopper

GrassHopper Happiest motherf***er you're EVER gonna meet OT Supporter

Don't know anything about that manager CD you have, but here's what should get the card working. Boot up your PS2 with nothing in it but the mem card. Go to the browser and click on the card. It should say "This card is not formatted. Format now?"

Hit yes, and your games should now be able to recognize it.

3. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I kind of had the same problem also, but it was my own stupidity that was the problem. To make a long story shot I learned thaty ou can't save PS games on a PS2 card.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2001
  4. Inconspicuous

GrassHopper, when I start it up with nothing but the card in it, it shows the card with 5 kb of memory used (I assumed it was information put on by the Memory Manager program), so I deleted it, and now it won't recognize it at all. Even with it in the slot, the Browser doesn't see it until I use the memory program on it, but even then it doesn't ask me to format it.

This is so ghey, guess I'm gonna have to go buy another memory card sometime and see if it'll recognize it.

5. EnFuego305

EnFuego305 Guest

Yeah, that annoyed me to no end...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

But, you can use PS1 cards and most games can reconize it. If they cant, Try putting a ps1 card in alone, not with a ps2 card in the other slot.

7. GrassHopper

GrassHopper Happiest motherf***er you're EVER gonna meet OT Supporter

Wow, that sounds really fubar'd. Try buying a new memory card and returning this wacky one in the new box.

Is that wrong? Sony still gets back the broken card.....I need to go think about that one.

8. Bocevus

Bocevus Guest

Are you using a Sony 8MB card? When I bought my PS2 along w/ my Sony memory card all I did was boot up w/o a game in and it asked if I wanted to format.

That's it.

Now when I play Medal of Honor (awesome game) I use my old PSX mem card w/ no problems.

I know some third party memory cards are a bit shaky in terms of compatability w/ the PS2. And I've never heard of software for use w/ the memory card.

Perhaps you do have a bad memory card.

9. Inconspicuous

It's not a Sony memory card, it's one manufactured by InterAct Accessories.

I know I know, shouldn't go with third party stuff. I didn't buy the card, it came with a starter pack that my parents bought me for X-Mas. I think the card must be bad, none of the other games I have are recognizing it either.

I just went and bought a Sony card (fucking $35!! :mad: :mad: ) and I'll see if it works later on tonight. If it does, the other card is going back in the package and getting returned.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

my sony mem card was 38

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Inconspicous, ok my friend got the memory manager for christmas dont get rid of it the cd has a great program that lets you transfer your game files to zip disk or computer its awesome. I can send my gta3 and gt3 files back and forth on the internet to friends who have the USB hook up. Ok heres your prob you gotta start up the ps2 with the disk in. Access the program on the browser, then your in the memory manager program, now put in the memory card it should detect it immeadiatley then format and go back to the browser after it says you can now play PS2 games with the mem card.. If it doesnt work tell me