MIL ATTN: Prior Service military who still have federal time

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member OT Supporter

Jan 5, 2004
    Did you know that there is a recall that started on June 1st? The government is filling 5600+ Army National Guard and Reserve component jobs in units who are slated for Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom rotations with soldiers with remaining federal service time.

If you didn't know, when you enlisted in the Active Army, National Guard or Reserves, you are obligated to 8 years of federal service. You serve the difference of your enlistment contract in the Inactive Ready Reserve. For example I served four years on active duty in the Army. I enlisted in the Delayed entry program in September of 1997, so my seperation date is eight years from then or September of 2005.

If you fall into this group, you can do one of a couple things. You can do nothing. 5600 isn't that many for the entire country, so there's a good chance you won't be recalled, but if you have a MOS in high demand right now (Intel, Communications, Infantry, Aviation, etc), then you have a better chance of getting called back. You can also enlist in a local National Guard or Reserve unit so in the event that unit is called to Iraq or Afghanistan, then you are going to be with a unit you have chosen and people you know. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post them here and I'll answer them as best I can.

You can also contact your local NG or Reserve recruiter, as they may have a local list (mine did and gave me a courtsey call).