SRS ATTN: OT people with siblings v.skippingschool

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Oct 7, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Got a call from the attendance office from my sister's school 6PM last night and says the she didnt show up today. I call back this morning and found out that she hasnt been there since the 26th of September and that a friend of hers told the teacher or office that she was in California for a funeral which is not true. Near the end of last year she started having the same problems and my older sister who lives in Seattle wanted her to come up there to live. Well, my younger sister cried to my mom and she only went up there for a week or two promising that she'll do better at school this year. What would you do in this situation? Im really getting tired of this shit. My mom is a pushover and wont do anything about it.

2. page

page New Member

Trying to be a parent when you're a sibling is a bad situation to be in.

You need to talk to your mom about doing something about her- she's obviously in need of a reality check.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

How old are you both? How about the older sister?

I think honestly that the best bet is for you to try to find out where she goes if she isn't going to school. If you can figure that out, and see what she's doing, you could probably use that to convince your mom that something needs to be done (since I assume she's probably off having sex, doing drugs, or something else she shouldn't be involved with). Or, failing that, you can confront her yourself about it and let her know that it's NOT okay. And, if you find out she's having problems with someone threatening or abusing her, you can try to help that situation as well.

Overall though, I think the ages of all parties involved should be taken into consideration. If your older sister is "enough older," having her get away from the environment where whatever problems exist in, would be best.

(Notice and disclaimer, though: This is comming from an only child -- so I have no first-hand experience with this, per se).

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Im 21, she's turning 18 next month. Our older sister is 29. When I ask her about school and she lies again, what do I say? Take her to school and physically ask the attendance counsler?

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Just talk to her about it, she might not be so immature as to ignore you, but who knows.

6. johan

johan Active Member

There'd be no point to physically marching her down to school and humiliating her like that. She'll silently (or loudly) say FUCK YOU and shut you out.

There's two ways to get people to comply.

Either you force them, but that only really works if you're in prison and you can do the lockdown thing on their ass, or else you've got some kind of leverage on them, say you're the boss and you can fire them.

The other way is to figure out what the problem is, maybe fix/address it and make them want to comply.

So in her case, what is the problem? Do you know WHY she's cutting school?

7. waffler

waffler Errrbuddy in this bitch get tipsy

i used to skip alot in high school it eventually forced me to drop out for 2years and then i realized how important school was and i went back and graduated at 21, the first little bit was rough going back but eventually i found friends and now most of them are my friends for life, so pretty much what im saying is theres nothing for you to do itll only make it worse, you need to let her figure out for herself that shes fucking up and itll only get worse because going back to class after youve missed 2weeks you have pretty much no chance of passing cause itll only set u behind and youll be catching up the entire year and youll just start skipping again and again cause you dont wanna be behind or make up the work thats necessary

8. johnson

johnson New Member

So Sunday night she didnt come home. Monday afternoon she came home and says she slept at her "friend"'s house (which is the guy on the bottom). I confronted her about her skipping school and she says, "Oh really?" and she seems to stay home after school a lot more now. I dont have any proof that she in fact DID skip the past two weeks without going to the school (ill have to take a day off sometime to do that). So this morning I wake up at 6:40 and she's not in her room. Front door was locked but back door wasnt...hrmm...She opened the front door at 7 and I asked where she went. She says she went to go get breakfast :rolleyes:. Then I ask her, "you sure it wasnt 2am?" She says no and went downstairs.

Im about ready to tell her that if she wants to keep lying, etc. then she needs to get all her stuff and move out.

AIM log
    her (1:35:04 AM):did u get the light fixed?
    him (1:35:19 AM):no
    him (1:35:22 AM):i dont have the light
    him (1:35:28 AM):i havent bought it yet
    her (1:35:37 AM):ooooic
    him (1:35:38 AM):but to save some time, i took everything apart to get the light so i know what kind it is
    him (1:35:42 AM):im about to go to walmart
    him (1:35:45 AM):wanna go?
    her (1:35:52 AM):suuree
    her (1:35:54 AM):lol
    him (1:36:00 AM):ok, i be over
    her (1:36:15 AM):want some chicken alfrado?
    him (1:36:43 AM):naw son, i dont like that creamy stuff
    her (1:36:59 AM):alrighttttt
    him (1:39:02 AM):leavin, bye
    her (1:39:07 AM):bye
    session concluded

9. Killuminati

Killuminati New Member

Are you at your parent's house? Or is she living with you?

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

Are you sure that kicking her out is going to be the best thing? I mean, she's just going to go live with a friend or a boyfriend or something. It's not going to fix the root of the problem, which is that she's lying and skipping class.