ATTN: OT COMP GURUS V. HDD detect issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Who Mike D, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Who Mike D

Who Mike D Local Hustler

I just inherited an older gateway (about 500 mhz) stuck 2 hdds in it one 30 and one 20, both IDE. When I start it up I get the usual "Operating system not found" I pop in the server 2k3 install cd and It wont detect either hdd. I'm getting frustrated

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

check jumper settings

3. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Word of caution, if that thing has less than 512MB of RAM on it yer fucked.

Server will run like a pig in molasses.

My main box runs it with 1GB of RAM installed and on average it boots with 100MB less free RAM than an XP box. But it's remarkably stable and gaming capable so I use it.

Now about the hard drive issue - Go into the BIOS and look for "PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL, SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL" and check to see if both are enabled. A lot of older machines have this worthless option, even old Presario laptops for some dumbass reason.

If they are both enabled, check the jumpers. Set one to master and one to slave, the OS drive should be the master, not that it actually matters or does anything. Just to keep it neater. Or you could always set it to "CABLE SELECT" or "CSEL," same thing, but their position on the IDE cable determines their master or slave status.

If all that fails, replace the cables.

And if it ain't detecting the hard drives upon boot you're pretty much screwed.

And if a PCI IDE card is being used, get the drivers for it's chipset and when you see the message "PRESS F3 IF YOU NEED TO LOAD A THIRD PARTY RAID/SCSI DRIVER" press F3, and insert the drivers saved to a floppy diskette. You'll see that message upon entering Windows Setup. It's been there since NT4, possibly NT3.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  4. Apokalipse

Apokalipse New Member

maybe download DOS 6.22 and fdisk.exe, put them onto a floppy, and if it detects the drives, delete the partition(s) on both drives and then see if 2k3 detects them

5. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

2K3 would still detect them upon boot...You'd just format it within the Windows Installer.

The same goes for Windows 2000/XP.

6. keleko

keleko yes, he is

*oldest-post-bump-for-the-hell-of-it*

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member