Attn: New Riders / before your first post in this forum, READ HERE!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pro Street, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

To all the new riders thinking about getting a bike- be it a sportbike or cruiser:
    • Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course (MSF). You can find a center located near you here: http://www.msf-usa.org/
      There might be a waiting list. Costs vary depending on where you are. If you need to be put on a waiting list, SIGN UP. People cancel often, and you move up fairly quickly. In some cases, you can visit the center and jump right into an open spot.
    • Need ideas on a good starter bike?
    • http://www.beginnerbikers.org
    • Don't come on here asking about a Gixxer, TL, R6, 600RR or any other kind of SuperSport bike, or you will be flamed. Start small, and work your way up. Faster bikes are less forgiving to mistakes.
    • Unless you're rich, don't buy a new bike. You will lay it down. It doesn't matter when, it will happen. Best not to have to buy a new set of fairings a few months after dropping ~$8000 on a new bike.
    • If you want to ride to look good, or be like those in Torque/Biker Boyz, don't even bother. If you refuse to ride a bike, or hold off on buying one that is at your skill level only because of how it looks, then you're nothing but a poser. Bikes are for riding, not standing next to.
    • Don't be a squid. Nobody gives a fuck how fast you can weave through traffic, or that you won't wear proper gear. Die sooner and save us the scar on the already hurting reputation of bikers.
    • It doesn't matter what you ride. Bashing another's bike just because they have a different taste is not cool.
    • Grab something to drink, a bag of popcorn, and read this thread: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121572&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

And if that isn't enough, this just in:
      http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73601

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

I dont even ride bikes and I agree with all of the above statements 100%. Especially the squid part.

Good sticky. :)

3. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

4. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

Lets summarize, shall we:

4/29/03 - First post saying she bought an R6 as first bike

5/2/03 - Wreck #1, car pulled out, supposedly "unavoidable"

5/16/03 - Uses insurance money to buy new used R6

5/16/03 - Wreck #2, went off in a corner, serious injuries, took a helicopter ride to the hospital, over night stay, no insurance since she only had the bike 1 day

Wow. She has a total of 5 days of riding on the R6 even though she has had the bike 3 weeks

Summary of the sportbikes.net thread :o

5. Fast GTI

Fast GTI New Member

:rofl:

Reminds me of this fob I knew who bought a Ducati 748 the same day he got his license. He laid it down in the PARKING LOT and again rounding a corner on the way home.

6. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

:rofl:

7. bobomb

bobomb no torque, no care OT Supporter

What kind of a dipshit father buys, or even lets his highschool whore of a daughter ride an R6?

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Damn, that thread is no good anymore.. :wtc:

Reading the cycleforums thread now. :rofl:

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

10. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

oh yeah heres some general shit i learned from experience when i had my first sportbike.... alot of shit that MSF doesnt teach and i never learned until it was too late..

- get a Battery Tender... whever you dont use your bike for more than a couple of days.... hook up the battery to the tender

- get at least a rear stand (front too if you have the money).. it makes things like maintenance and work 100x easier

- most bikes come with a toolkit in the storage compartment... one of the things that you will use from this kit is the spark plug socket... everything else is junk.. use a real toolkit from homedepot (most likely socket set with 8mm, torque wrench, allen keys)

- dont ride hard off the bat... make sure you ride a bit first at low speeds until the tires warm up... especially if you bought a used bike and it has semi-race tires

- dont leave the hi-beams on unless necessary.. this puts major drain on the battery and alternator... both of which are much weaker than on a car

- DONT EVER LEAVE YOUR BIKE OUT IN THE RAIN.... whenver your bike does get wet... dry off the drive chain ASAP and then re-lube it.... left alone, the chain WILL RUST

- if you are gong to add an aftermarket exhaust, get a power commander (if fule injected), or make sure you get your carbs re-jetted (carbed bikes)

- there is usually an clutch freeplay adjuster on both the clutch lever and also at the base of the clutch cable on the tranny cover. set it to what is comfortable for you

- 99% of the time, you shouldnt have to touch the rear brake at all

- if your battery ever dies... you can bump start it by pushing it while clutched in 2nd and then letting off the clutch

11. Jerm

Jerm I

MSF course trains you to apply both brakes... so one doesn't need to do that?????

12. Stealthy_C

Stealthy_C my Vespa rocks.. ̔̕̚̕̚ ҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎ ̏̐̑̒ OT Supporter

BB.com is down :o

13. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

awesome thanks.. i just forwarded this to my friend who is kinda a newbie..

HE started out on a ninja 250.. just traded up to a 03 r6.. he's not that bad.. the only think i yell at him about is not zipping up his jacket when he rides.. he leaves it unzipped

14. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Just a question, what does squid mean. I'm guessing either pansy or poser. Can anyone give me a definition?

15. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

Thanks. :) Me and two of my girl friends are taking an MSF course next spring and I plan on buying a bike at that time also. I'm excited and nervous. Thanks for the tips!!!

16. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

A squid is a careless idiot on a sport bike they can't handle. They're known for not wearing any type of protective gear (t-shirt or no shirt, regular pants or shorts) and doing retarded things like weaving between cars on the highway at 120mph. Show-offs with little skill and less sense. They're like riceboys on two wheels :o

I'm not certain, but I believe the term came from the shape of such riders after they have become a splat on the pavement stretching out in 10 different directions.

17. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

Great post, I was just looking into getting started...

18. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

I live in the Seattle area (rains without warning on a regular basis), and because of how expensive car insurance is, I was looking at a bike as a sole mode of transportation. Are there usually parking facilities to keep them dry? Do bikers just stay inside when it's raining? Not really experienced with this.

19. Leemur

Leemur oh hi

Super Quick Until I Die

20. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

I always heard SQUirrly kID?

21. Leemur

Leemur oh hi

which makes more sense?

22. Leemur

Leemur oh hi

I'll pay that one, but squirrely kid? I dunno, doesn't fit the profile so much

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

"Squid" is the common term for a new member to a group/gang. The new guy is always the "squid". So, since alot of kids usually buy there bike and on day 1 want to go 120MPH+ and do stupid shit to show off, they are the squids. Even if you've been riding for 10+ years, you can act like a squid.

24. Dongsy Normus

Dongsy Normus fag

truth, you should always use both brakes. front + back is quicker than just front there's no reason to use just the front brake

25. Dongsy Normus

Dongsy Normus fag

squirrely like wild and unpredictable, a bit of a loose cannon