MIL Attn: Most people join the military with the intention of never killing people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fintheman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

This message was brought to you by your friendly left leaning moderate vet.

2. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

... or never getting killed.

my bud who encrypts radios for the air force in iraq had to shoot a suicide bomber running right at his hummer. The car in front of him got an rpg that killed the driver.

it's funny, they seem to target everyone but infantry.
    maybe we're a little too good.

3. fintheman

I'm not trying to start a troll war or anything, but I could see the majority of people in don't care or want to kill someone "personally" even though they may be involved in the mission of.

And there is probably another good amount of people who don't ever want to deploy and sometimes, they get this wish.

The reason for posting this is

I've heard "if you don't want to kill someone, don't be in the military"

Or - "if you don't want or think you'll deploy, etc.,"

When in fact, people can join the military, never touch a gun, and have a nice comfy office job and do their part. Is it so bad people would like to do that, get some job training and college money? The jobs are out there, why should people not do that?

Anyone that is a grunt-type ALWAYS seems to tell someone "If you join, go Infantry"

What is the big deal, some people don't really care to ever join or touch anything of that matter and then they are attacked for being a coward even though they are still joining? wtf?

4. fintheman

Whoa,!! that was my job too...In that instance, I would of did what I had to do.. :/

2e2

5. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

he didn't kill him. put him down with a shot to the shoulder. heheh.. the army guys in the convoy we're making fun of his "air force shooting."

he says he wasn't allowed to finish him off... aww man... i wouldn't have hesitated to put one between that muck's eyes.

I had to finish off a possum that my dogs attacked. beat it with a ho till it stopped moving and I felt horrible.

but... i'll be the first in line to execute a jihadist. possums deserve better treatment.

6. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

you were a 2e2 in the USAF? Tell me how it is because that was my original job before I found out I couldn't get top secret clearance.

7. fintheman

Actually, very good

You can end up working on all kinds of stuff throughout the career, base to base can end up being totally different jobs and duties.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Most people up to 9/11 never thought they would deploy...period.

9. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

Who WOULD want to join an organization solely to kill someone/something... I think if that is your reasoning behind joining anything... you are an idiot.

10. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You would be surprised.

11. fintheman

Its purpose? Shit......

I can't agree with that at all.

Is it a machine capable of killing many people yes?

Is its purpose to kill? Nah

12. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i think a lot of people join because it's an adventure, it's something exciting (or at least they think it will be), the benefits are relatively good, and they believe strongly in the purpose.

i don't know too many people who joined to "kill" although obviously when you train for something day in and day out you're ready to do whatever you need to without hesitation, and i do think people often hope, maybe in that back, irrational part of their mind, that they will be tested or otherwise have to perform the skills they have been taught in combat.

13. Massive_gas

Massive_gas New Member

you may not agree with it, but that is what a military is for

they may do other things, but its main mission is to kill

14. fintheman

Sure if you want to think that, go for it.

15. fintheman

THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE MISSION : Provide for the common defense. ​
    The primary DoD task is to deter conflict - but should deterrence fail, to fight and win the nation's wars. The department will provide a joint force, persuasive in peace, decisive in war, preeminent in any conflict. Our nation faces a wide range of interests, opportunities, and challenges requiring a military that can both win wars and contribute to peace. The range of challenges faced by the military includes those ambiguous situations residing between peace and war, such as peacekeeping and peace enforcement operations, as well as noncombat humanitarian relief operations and support to domestic authorities. These challenges will require a Total Force composed of well-educated, motivated, and competent people who can adapt to the many demands of future joint missions. Complex contingencies such as humanitarian relief or peace operations require a rapid, flexible response to achieve national objectives in the required timeframe. The core of the joint force will continue to be individuals of exceptional dedication and ability - people of outstanding character committed to an ethic of selfless service. (excerpted from Joint Vision 2020)

16. fintheman

Oh yea - whenever they said "we are here to blow shit up and kill people" I am the type of person that wants to say "No, I'm not"

17. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

then what were you there for, to waste the governments money training some shitbag who didn't want to go to war and do what the military trained you to do :dunno:

18. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

strategically, the military's purpose is to defend the country and its interests through providing forces with the ability to deter, or decisively win, any wars

tactically, a military units' main goal is to train and equip men and women to fight and decisively win those wars

now that's not a policy statement, and i know i left out the operational level of things, but that's pretty much how i see things

i'm a crewmember of a bomber squadron and although i realize my daily mission is not to kill people, i realize that my role in combat operations i may be tasked with is to destroy every single target i'm tasked to engage, and that more than likely that involves some killing.

so when they say we're there to "blow shit up and kill people", what they're really saying is, "we're here to provide our government the option of killing people and blowing shit up, better than anyone else in the world, and that should we be asked to do that, we'll do it quickly and professionally"

19. fintheman

uhhh - lol

I was part of it and I would of did it....

But I am not proud that I may have been part of something that killed innocent people but I am proud that I served my country in a non-combat position :)

20. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

wouldn't bother me to shred open a few hajji's:dunno:

then again i've been around guts and gore all my life, seeing death doesn't bother me....

21. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I believe the roll of the military is defense through deterrence when possible, and force when necessary. We are the "big stick" that allows the politicians to walk softly.

But back to your original post - in todays circumstances, joining the Army or Marines with no expectation of ever deploying is IMO naive. It may happen that you don't get deployed, but that would be the exception. And for someone to have a combat arms MOS with no expectation of ever firing a shot at another human is just as naive.

On a side note: We all know that there are jobs in the military that are so far removed from the bleeding edge of combat that they will probably never ever see a bullet strike an enemy. That is a fact of military life. Some kill, and some just enable the killers. That doesn't mean that the killers should coddle the enablers when they attempt to cocoon themselves in a "I'm not here to kill anyone" lie. The fact is that every single person in the military is either a killer or an enabler. There is more than enough blood to stain every single hand that took the oath.

/trollthread

22. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

you're an idiot. are you even in the service? been deployed?

23. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

wtf i don't remember posting that:ugh:

24. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

what branches are you all from ?? (the ones saying they signed up NOT to kill people)

I signed up with the expectation of combat and the obligation that I will probably have to one day kill someone. For not being infantry, I sure as hell have done a lot of grunt-like duties the last 6 months ... and I loved it.

25. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i just wanted to be a marine