MIL ATTN: Marine Folk

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Godspeed, May 17, 2005.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

What can you tell me about PLC?

I'm thinking about doing it (I've always wanted to join the Marines) next summer. It'll be my junior year so from what i've read, i'll have to do a 10-week session during the summer, correct?

Any info on how it compares to OCC?

Also, my father told me that as an officer, you're not required to stay in the Marines for a certain amount of time (unlike enlisted). You are allowed to resign your commission whenever you want (unless you owe money for tuition or something like that). Is that also true?

2. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

It's pretty important you fulfill contractual agreements as an officer... but it is true that you don't have to.

3. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

OR

I can utilize the military forum on OT and ask my questions there and also get some first hand information from maybe a few people who have done it themselves!

Which i did.

So deal with it.

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

as i understand it PLC = OCS

but PLC you're branched off into either air-contract of law-contact

whereas OCS/TBS will put you into most MOS fields

OCS/TBS also requires a degree or in the process of completing a degree whereas PLC is during your college career and the selection board is a lot more picky.

PLC boards convene quarterly i believe for selections.

OCS/TBS vs. boot camp? i've heard mustangs say it's not as hard and mustangs say it's tougher. whereas the indoctrination isn't as buttfucked as it was in boot camp, OCS/TBS emphasizes on intelligent decision making under pressure and physical training so it's definitely way stressful than boot camp.

5. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

yes, as a Commissioned Officer you can re-sign whenever you want

6. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I've been to PLC juniors an seniors. Got hurt at seniors so i have to redo it this summer. PLC and OCC are bascially the same thing, both are OCS. PLC is for those that haven't graduated, OCC for those that have. PLC is divided into two types, PLC and PLC-c. PLC requires that you attend for 2 summers, 6 weeks each. PLC-C is a 10 week program, typically reserved for those that only have one summer left before their graduation. Standard 2, 6 weeks PLC is the preferred method because it is easier to get accepted and the attrition rate due to injuries is better (the body breaks down much more during the 10 weeks).

As to which is harder, most people say that OCS is much harder physically, while boot camp is harder mentally. You must have a first class PFT to even be considered for OCS. But you need at least a 250 to be competitive for PLC, and probably a 270+ to be competitive for PLC-C or OCC. OCS has PT everyday. I went in with a 298 PFT and I felt pushed at most events, especially the log run (similar to the SEALS, but probably a smaller telephone pole at OCS).

I have to leave right now, but if anyone else has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them later.