ATTN: Linux Redhat / Windows XP Multiboot Experts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by baldyguy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

I currently have two 40 Gig hard drives. I dont want to make two partitions on the same hard drive instead I want it set up its have Windows XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other. Is this possible? Please help!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you already have to drives, your best bet for keeping them separate is a swappable rack system. One part mounts in a 5.25" bay and connects to the IDE interface. Each drive sits in its own tray that you slide into the housing. Dual booting anything will eventually bite you on the ass.

3. baldyguy

I dont really get what your saying? :dunno:

I just want to MULTIBOOT Windows XP and Linux.

I want Windows XP on one hard drive, and Linux on the second hard drive.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

yeah, just install windows with only one hard drive installed
    then install the second one and boot from the linux installation CD and tell it to format and install on the second hard drive.

Honestly with all Dual-boot installations i've done, it's been really easy.

Mcdaniel: How can a Dual-boot system "bite you in the ass"? if the boot info gets messed up at all, then just boot off of most linux installation CD's and instead of going through the install just run part and set the windows or linux partition to the boot partition.

5. baldyguy

Zourn,

Can the WIndows Be Master and the Linux be SLave? Which OS will give you the choice to pick one or the other?

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

that would be the setup i would do, when you install linux it gives you the choice of Dual-Booting. so you load it last. But it can install the Dual-boot onto the beggining of the master anyways.

7. BadHummer

BadHummer Guest

if you didnt get it working already, you're going to want to install XP first. after you get that all installed run the RH setup, it will go through asking you all the questions. You'll get to a point where it will ask you where you want to install RH, you will have 2 options dev0 and dev1, select dev1 (the 2nd HDD). You'll also get to a point asking you what type if bootloader you would like to install, I suggest GRUB. It will also ask you what OS you would like to set as the "default", I suggest DOS. From here continue on with the installation and you're set with a dual boot..

8. baldyguy

Thanks for the response, whats the difference between the GRUB bootloader and the LILO bootloader? People say that LILO is better?

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I've used lilo for a long time, but have recently started using grub. It allows MUCH better error handeling incase something goes wrong durring the intial bootstrap (which it suprisingly does durring the intial setup of a dual booting system). In times where lilo would just die, grub gives you options to try to fix the problem.

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I ran a dual-boot system with two hard drives for years. It's pretty easy to setup, just make sure you install Windows first so that you end up with a Linux bootoader, as it's harder to make the Windows bootloader play nice with Linux than vice versa.