Attn: Linux crew - help/suggestions requested

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaimeZX, Aug 31, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I really want to like Linux. This is the 2nd time I've tried it, the first being some version of Red Hat about 8 years ago.

I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my new desktop machine here. I figured it should be far easier to config than Red Hat back in the day. And it WAS. Installed easily.

* Problem #1 - very distorted audio. Ubuntu correctly IDs my SoundBlaster card and I can *hear* all of the sounds, but they come through sounding like the volume is cranked up to 99% and everything is distorted. I tried turning down every slider I could find but to no avail. Several hours reading the Ubuntu forums have yet to reveal anything that will fix the audio issue. This is true for MPEGs, MP3s, WAVs, etc.

* Problem #2 - In spite of the audio, I tried watching a DVD. The player loaded automatically but the DVD wouldn't play. I looked at the Online Help only to discover that DVD playback isn't available by default. I tried installing the packages the help suggested, as well as gxine, which also refused to play the DVD. Don't know where to go from here.

* Problem #3 - I also had my wife try Ubuntu on her Dell laptop since XP was due for a reinstall anyway and I figured it couldn't hurt. Her sound works just fine but she's having the same DVD playback issue I am. Additionally, her Linksys wireless card isn't working. I spent a while trying to walk her through (on the phone, she's out of town) the online instructions I found for attempting to install the Windows driver in Ubuntu, but it's a huge hassle and we gave up. For now.

* Challenge #1 - I'm very used to a lot of Windows programs. I've been using M$ OSes since DOS 2.0. Anyway. I was really hoping Gimp would have (very close-or-identical) interface as Photoshop, but it doesn't, and it slows me down trying to learn everything from scratch. (Incidentally, this is what I hate about Office 2007...) I also use AutoCAD, a handful of Windows games, and a few other programs for which I don't see Linux equivalents. Not sure where to go from here. I guess if there were easy instructions I could install an XP virtual machine.... would that work?

Like I said, I *want* to like this. It's pretty fast, but I haven't had the opportunity to do anything to bog down the processor or memory since so far I'm doing nothing but surfing the web trying to figure out how to make things work. I'm thinking about just getting rid of this Ubuntu install and going back to XP.

Suggestions / comments greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Nocera

Nocera ...

An operating system is like a relationship. You shouldn't have to search out ways to make it work. It should feel natural right from the start. If you like XP and have no complaints with it, then just stick to it.

3. antiyou

antiyou OT Supporter

:ugh:

4. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

:ugh:

5. ge0

ge0 New Member

install vmware

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Problem One: Did you try the alsamixer? That's where I fixed my sound problems, and if your sound is too loud, you may be able to fix it here. Go to Applications -> Accessories --> Terminal and type alsamixer. M toggles mute.

Problem Two: You just need to download the MPlayer codecs... Try to play an mp3 and it should ask to search for codecs by itself in MPlayer. When it does that, just let it download ALL of the media codec files.

Problem Three: Do you know the model number of the Linksys card? I had lots of wireless problems too, and knowing what kind of card it is helps.

Challange #1: Aside from WINE, there is nothing you can do aside from looking for open-source alternatives to the programs you use or dual-boot with Windows (what I do)

A Operating system is like a relationship? :ugh: Actually, it's nothing like a relationship. It's a piece of software :hsugh:

7. JaimeZX

Just tried it. Didn't work. Also - the sound isn't too loud, it's just very distorted, as though it were cranked up really loud and the speakers were distorting.

Hm. MP3 playback seems to be standard in Ubuntu 8.04. It didn't ask to download anything.

Linksys WPC54G.

If I set it up for dual boot I'm not sure why I'd ever boot into Linux. :dunno: What would be the advantage there? :dunno: I guess I'm still confused about all of this.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The packages you installed were called "medibuntu", right? If so, you have what you need, the trick is to get a player that actually works. I've only had luck with VLC for playing DVDs. I use AmaroK for everything else.

There are CAD programs available, but nothing like AutoCAD unless you want to actually buy AutoCAD for Linux. (No, I don't know if it exists, I tried to find out, but Autodesk's website is fucking useless unless you've already paid.)

There's another photo editing program called Pixel that's very nice, but it's not free. The interface is much better than Gimp.

9. JaimeZX

I'll try VLC.

Meanwhile, what about my question re: XP on a virtual machine? Is that a reasonable way to use Windows software? :dunno:

10. JaimeZX

Hm. I installed VLC and now all three players on this machine will play a DVD. That's cool and all except for the sound is still jacked up. :sad2:

11. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Why do you want to use it?

12. JaimeZX

Honestly I have some guilt about FCKGW... I would PREFER to use legit software... :hs:

13. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:rofl: I remember FCKGW :hs:

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I used FCKGW to get an old machine up and running last night -- swapped the code using Magical Jellybean, installed SP3, and the rest is history.

It's just going to be used as a home fileserver anyway. The way I see it, M$ should be happy there's one less old machine running Linux.

15. JaimeZX

I'm not actually using that key. Just an example. ;)