ATTN: Laptop People. Opinions For New Purchase Wanted!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 89MustangGX, Sep 6, 2004.

1. 89MustangGX

89MustangGX New Member

I am looking to finally puchase my first laptop, after putting it off for a long time --I think I am finally ready. I am looking for a good all-around laptop, I don't need a super-gaming machine or something specifically for maximum number-crunching -- just a good all-around system. I'd like it to be a possible desktop replacement capable model (meaning not hardware limited in any way) if possible. My budget is targeted around $1000ish (meaning plus a little is ok for a good deal - minus is better).

Through personal experience and reccomendations I have been avoiding some manufacturers and looking specifically at Toshiba. They seem to have a good mix of features, good prices, and come with good experiences from people I have talked to about them.

One model I am specifically looking at is the Satellite A60-S166.

Toshiba Notebook Satellite A60-S166 Pentium4 2.8G(518), 15.0" XGA TFT, 256MB, 40GB, WLAN, WinXP PRO.

I found it for $1089, and also has a $100 rebate available -- making it $989. Now the only thing I saw is that the memory seemed a little low, so I figured I'd jump right in and add a 512mb stick or even a 1g stick depending on pricing.

Another I was looking at: Toshiba Satellite A55-S306. This one has the PM 715 Centrino 1.5G, otherwise basically same except for 60g HDD. $1049 after all the mail-in rebates.

Same deal with memory. Now this one is the new processor and only 1.5G, but more cache, etc. I dunno which is better on battery life, actual processing power, etc.

Opinions on these or any Toshibas? Is the P4 the right choice (others are both less and more expensive)? How about anything I'm missing or I should look for? Any hot deals out there?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Go with the A55-S306. It will destroy the other one in terms of battery and the Dothan CPU in the S306 has 2mb cache on it and will out perform most of the P4 line.
    Toshiba's specs say you should get about 2 hours on the P4 model and just under 4 hours on the Pentium mobile.

3. 89MustangGX

89MustangGX New Member

The thing that worried me about that one - that I forgot to mention before - is the video memory. That one has the Intel chipset and only shares 32m, while the other has the ATI chipset and shares 64m. Now I'd like to be able to play some games if I want to, and I'm worried that the 32m/Intel would limit me in that aspect.

Any opinions as far as that goes? The price is similar, only differences that would possibly concern me is the video memory and battery life I suppose. The HDD size makes no difference, 40g is plenty for me...

Any opinuions on Toshiba in general? Am I looking in the right place at least?

4. 89MustangGX

89MustangGX New Member

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Toshiba is a good brand to go with, traditionally good laptops. I know a guy who has an Asus one though, and it seems very high-quality with a lot of nice features for the price.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

ibook 12in

or waite for a good deal on fatwallet.com and get a 1000 dollar pentium m laptop

7. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Avoiding HP has probably already been recommended. But just in case, I'll recommend it again. I regret buying mine.

8. 89MustangGX

89MustangGX New Member

Thank for replies -- feel free to post any good deals you find -- I'll probably just keep looking for a while since I'm still unsure. :hs: