Attn. Intel Mac Crew v.convincemetomaketheswitch

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The_Kids_Are_Alright, Mar 5, 2006.

1. The_Kids_Are_Alright

The_Kids_Are_Alright New Member

Alright Mac Crew, in light of the fact that I have a really shitty PC that I'm going to be getting rid of I am considering getting my firtst Mac... thus I am a complete newb. So if I were to get a Mac I would be looking at the 2.0Ghz MacBook Pro, and the first thing that comes to mind is Lack of recognizable software... basically what are some tips to making the switch, software advice, where to get Apple software cheap, ect.

Also what RAM does the MacBook use? I plan on upgrading to 2GB.

My PC laptop of choice at the moment, in the price range, is an Acer Travelmate 8200, how does the MacBook stack up? (assuming you know anything about this comp.)

I have heard talk of sudent discounts, are these from your school/ college or through Apple?
    tldr; convence me to make the switch to the MacBook Pro
    PS: Does anyone know of a good Torrent site/ tracker to get either Final Cut or Aperature from?

Thanks,
    -TKAA

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Software wise, the majority of the stuff you'll want is free or can be purchased very cheap (i.e. $20). The only apps on my Powerbook that are "off the shelf" types are Photoshop, M$ Office and Virtual PC. Everything else either came with the computer (OSX and iLife) or I've downloaded. There is a thread stuck at the top of the forum with "Must Have Software" and links to much of it like Adium (IM client), Transparent Dock, etc.

I believe the MPB uses DDR2 SODIMMs which is standard laptop memory. If you're ever not sure of what type of memory an off the shelf computer needs, go to www.crucial.com and use their Memory Advisor. Just plug in the manufacturer, model, etc. of the computer and their site will tell you what type of memory it needs. Crucial also happens to be one of the two memory manufacturers I recommend (Corsair is the other). You don't need to spend the extra dime for memory that claims to be Apple specific.

Since I'm not going to take the time to look up the Acer Travelmate 8200, I can't answer that question specifically, but suffice it to say that you'll never go back to PCs after using a Mac. :big grin:

There are student discounts through Apple. Just key in what school you go to on their website or show your student ID at the Apple store.

3. The_Kids_Are_Alright

The_Kids_Are_Alright New Member

Thanks for the help, one more question though. I have heard that with the Intel based Macs some programs, mostly Photoshop, do not run "natively" and because of that run much slower. What doees "natively" mean"? And how do you know if your software will run natively?

Thanks again,
    -TKAA

4. decaf

decaf New Member

natively means that it's not using rosetta to run the software, if an app has the universal logo, it'll run natively on both intel and PPC based macs.rosetta could be considered a PPC "emulator" for the intel macs.It ofcourse slows the software down quite considerably to the point were you'd be better off on a G5 system.

quite a few pieces of software already come in universal binaries, all the iLife software for example.adobe probably won't be releasing universal versions of their software until 2007 which sucks