Attn FN Engineering Crew

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by erok81, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I know this isn't fitness related at all, but I figured since there are so many of you here it's as good a place as any.

With more and more layoffs at my job, I've decided I need to go back to school. My original goal was either a masters or PhD in physics, but I am getting way too old for an advanced degree.

Because of that I was thinking of just getting an associates in electrical engineering since I only have about another year left for that type of degree.

Here's my question. Is it even worth getting an associates in engineering? Maybe one day I'll go back and get a BS, but in the mean time would i even be able get a job with just an AS?

2. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Not an engineer, but I know many that are.

An Associates in engineering is useless IMO.
    Most of your classes will be general science at that point anyway. It isn't until post-associates that you really delve into any real engineering stuff that would effectively assist you in the work place.

You have to remember... the job market for engineers isn't spectacular and with a lot of layoffs going around in the field, you would be competing (with an associates) against guys who have both experience and bachelor's degrees.

At MINIMUM I'd say you need to get a BS. A few people I know in the engineering field have BS's and after a lay-off are now considering grad school to get an MS and give themselves and advantage.

How old are you and why isn't getting a BS an option?

3. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

never even heard of any sort of engineering associates degree

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

You need at least a Bachelor's degree. You will NOT get any sort of decent engineering job with an associate's degree.

5. Pringles

Pringles New Member

No, theres enough BS and PHDs out there wanting jobs that no one will care about your attempt at CC.

6. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

7. erok81

32 with enough bills that I have to keep my 40-50 hr a week job. A BS would take me 6-5 years at least and I'd be pushing 40. :hs:

I guess the AS that I was looking was more of a transfer type degree so that probably won't work anyway.

I'm not getting it to be an actual engineer, I know I'd need more than an AS. I just want some sort of tech/lab job. I am so sick of mindless stuff I do now. For someone who loves math and science, helping banks renovated homes isn't too interesting.

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

no not at all. if youve gotten an associates in engineering all that means is youve made it through calc2-3 and physics 2. thats pretty much it. all real engineering classes are done at junior year and above.

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

engineering jobs in general look for basically a bachelors from some kind of decent school but after that its all about experience and abilities.

10. posit

posit New Member

I have a bachelors in comp engineering and an associates in electrical engineering. You won't get crap with an associates degree unless the only people you are competing in have no degree and no experience.

11. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

This.

12. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Erok, if you're eligible for a masters, especially in physics, you might be able to do a second bachelors in 2 years.

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd: can't be a PE without a BS and without being a PE you wont get very far in engineering unless you go the managment route but all of the Dept managers at my firm are PEs

Most community colleges offer them but as Gogz said it's nothing more then calc 1-3, physics 1-2, and occasional Diff Eqs, statics and dynamics. However a lot of 4 years schools won't accept all the credits. I know GT doesn't accept dynamics from the local CC.

However, I'd suggest doing your core classes at a CC because it's usually half price and the teachers are paid to teach not do research. Check to make sure the credits will transfer though.

14. mestizo

mestizo New Member

My company will hire people with associates degrees in engineering and other, not full-fledged Bachelors in engineering.

However, they're called Designers, not Engineers, and the pay and upward mobility is really limited. They do the same work though. If you're thinking about going back, might as well go all the way. :dunno:

15. MstngJosh

MstngJosh New Member

I believe some companies will hire those with Associates degrees as Technologists rather than Engineers.

16. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

At my firm we have Designers too but it's basically a fancy name for a CAD monkey.

17. MstngJosh

MstngJosh New Member

Are any of you guys licensed PEs in any engineering field? I've got 2.5 years to go before I can take the exam...

18. ices

ices New Member

You won't be regarded as a real engineer without a BS from an accredited school.

In regards to getting a PE, it's most useful when working in the public sector or starting your own company. Most fields that require a PE are dry and boring. I don't want to discount getting a PE, but in many industries, it will just be something extra on your resume, and may not be worth the effort.

19. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

The only thing you can do is take a 3d modelling/engineering tech. degree from a community college that is 2 years if you want to find work in the field. That was my first degree. I was making like 40k with it with 4 years experience. For the midwest I made a decent living before I took a vow of poverty and went back to college to get a B.S. in basically pre-physical therapy.

20. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Not at poly you start freshmen year :fawk:

21. giz

giz Active Member

as an ME in your same city, I can't really imagine getting a job with anything less than a BS. at my workplace, anybody with a BS is signed on as a contract engineer, they really only hire engineers with advanced degrees.

22. erok81

Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

I might look into tech salaries around here and go from there. If the pay sucks, I guess I'll just stick with remedial low level mgmt jobs like I have now. :greddy:

23. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I disagree. The firm I work for builds power plants and I find it interesting. Most people there are PEs.

24. ralyks

ralyks New Member

What kind of power plants?
    You should move to cali if they don't go bankrupt and get in on the solar power generation action.

25. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Bull shit, at the end of the day after you get that first year,m where you went to school does not mean shit.:bigthumb:

I have MS in ME from top 15 school, the biggest concern in hiring me was lack of experience, the MS and good school helped bridge this gap, but experience of 2-3 years and a degree forma shitty school would have done the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.