A&P Attn: Eraser

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Guardfather, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

So I've had the same cam as you for a while... I've gotten to know it well enough for most use. But I have one huge problem. Every damn sky photo I take is blurry. The clouds and colors in the sky turn out fuzzy looking. Never clean and crisp. Is this just a major flaw in the camera? What settings should I use?

I've tried it in raw (.raf) format too, and it's almost just as fuzzy looking. Examples here:
    http://www.guardfather.com/images/photos/pike_lake_8-8-04/

In case anyone who else has one or experience with one cares to help, it's a Fuji Finepix S7000.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  2. Pottzor

Pottzor Open your eyes and you will see

Try neatimage to get rid of the graininess, google it.....freeware and works awesome. Are you using a tripod?

I only looked at the first two and noticed a lot of grain. Lowering your iso setting will help in that respect.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Holy noise batman

it doesn't look that out of focus, from the 2 pics i looked at, its just noisy as hell. try taking the iso down, especially since the s7000 drops the mega pixel setting at the higher iso levels. instead of it being 6mp or interpolated to 12, it'll drop you to 3mp at iso 800 maybe even 400, can't remember

4. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I hadn't messed with the ISO settings before.. I'll give that a try. Thanks :)

5. mojito

mojito New Member

some times it can happen in post production, if theres too much contrast or saturation, so its hard to say

6. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Wow... I tried a lower ISO setting (400 instead of 800) and the pics look even more grainy. They're absolutely terrible. I'm pretty much lost now. It's able to take crystal clear pics of foliage and lots of other high contrast scenery. But it has great trouble with sky photos. wtf?

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Not a flaw in the camera, rather a flaw in the photographer. I clicked on three of your shots and in each one the sky looked fine. I think what you're not happy about is that the clouds appear to be blurry when in fact that's just the way the clouds looked on those particular days. Sky shots are often indistinct because the clouds tend to blend into each other.

Try shooting on a day when the clouds are a bit more distinct. Using a polorizing filter will really help to bring out the contrast between white clouds and blue sky.

8. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Trust me, that is NOT how the clouds looked. They did not have that digital noise which is very obvious in the photos. Are you only viewing them at an auto resized view? When they're shrunken down they don't look so bad. But at full rez it's very obvious there's a nasty grainy texture.

It may very well be a flaw in the photographer, if I don't know how to use the camera for shots like that. But I've tried a hell of a lot of settings with it, to no avail.