ATTN Computer Knowledgeable-Question on power supply and cooling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stuff, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Stuff

Stuff Guest

i need to know how much power i will need to run a computer im building and how much cooling. this is what ive got:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor
    DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA-AL
    512mb ram
    5200 128mb nvidia g4
    Thermaltake SILENT BOOST heatsink

how much wattage am i looking at needing and how many, if any, cooling fans will i need especially if i overclock it.

any help would be great

2. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

dude

goto www.pricewatch.com and just find something with a lot of power for cheap...

3. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

400w will do you fine. Never be afraid to buy a PSU that may seem a little too much for your box - worst case scenario, you waste 10 bucks.

4. Stuff

Stuff Guest

thanks, now what about the cooling aspect? my bro is running more or less same setup but he swears he doesnt use case fans...will heat sink alone suffice?

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Kinda in the wrong forum..

Mods may want to move this to Computers & Programming.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

No.

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

300 will do just fine

8. why in the world would you consider skipping out on $10-$15 case fans to protect an investment worth dozens of times that? :dunno:

9. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

Enermax 431 watt for about $80...or go bad boy like on my main rig and get an Enermax 550 watt for like $150.

10. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I am building a system almost identical, and I just built one for my friend about two weeks ago, anyways we used the antec SX635BII case, which has an antec 350watt, we oc'd it to 3200+ and it ran fine, and has been doing so for about two weeks now wth no problems, so I vote 'a name brand 350w'

11. alecm

alecm Guest

Yeah, PSU is something you definitly don't want to go generic on. Antec is a good name and so is Enermax. Name brand 300w PSU > 400 generic.

12. rockdog

rockdog (Banned or Deleted) OT Supporter

Too true... Im running 4x HDDs, 2x CD ROMs, 1x FDD, GF4 Ti video card, LCD Module and about 4 case fans all off my AOpen 300w psu.... got a mate running MUCH less than that and he had to upgrade his no name 350w psu cause it wasnt up to the job!

13. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Very WORD.

14. Stuff

Stuff Guest

the PSU i got is a 400W ALLIED ATX400P4
    i read the reviews and they all seemed pretty good--this is my first rig to build so its a big learning experience

15. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

I think when you buy a cheap one you don't actually get all the power its rated at, but when you buy a good name you actually get the rated power, and probably cleaner, more stable power.

16. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

:werd:

17. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I run my computer with no case fans - well, I have one actually, but I have software to control it's speed... it stays off all the time because I don't need it. Whether it's on or off, my temps are fine.

As far as a power supply goes, there is alot of terrible advice in this thread. Firstly you have to realize that you should never buy a generic, no name product for cheap. Secondly you should avoid pricewatch, it's a good guide for pricing, but the vendors with the lowest prices are terrible. Stick to a good place like newegg.com, super fast shipping, super cheap prices. Third, you don't need 400w for your system. If you can push your system to 400w, hell even 300w of power consumption, I'll give you a $100 bill. I have a $27 300w power supply and it is by far the best one I've ever owned, and beats out alot of the much more expensive crap. It's a Fortron FSP300 from newegg if you want to know. It has a big ass 12cm fan so that helps me run without case fans as well ;)

18. Stuff

Stuff Guest

thanks for the insight blind, i got an Allied psu that seems pretty reliable and it was only about 30$ i prolly did go overboard with 400W but as i said this is a learnin experience for me, and afterall its only money haha

19. Benson

Benson Guest

thanks i just picked a fsp300 from everfaithful newegg

20. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm running an identical setup except with twice as much RAM and an Asus mobo and I have two intake fans on the side and an exhaust fan on the back of my case, as well as the stock HSF on the processor and the stock HSF on the video card.

21. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

Fortron. Their 300w will wipe the floor with most 400w+ supplies.