GUN ATTN: Canadians who have a restricted licence

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Boots, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

A few questions

1. Did you own a handgun before or after you applied for your licence?
    2. How long did the process take?
    3. Was it a diffucult process?
    4. Any tips/suggestions?

2. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

You need a liscense to own a pistol up there?

3. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

Yep. Firearms are very tightly regulated up here! You must pass a 16 hour firearm safety course and then apply for a licence. It's a lot of extra work, but it promotes gun safety and helps keep guns under control.

4. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Wow that must suck man...What are you planning on getting?

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i don't mean to hi-jack the thread a bit, but once you have the license, can you go into a gun store and buy a handgun and they basically run you to confirm you have the license? once you have the license, can you buy as many guns as you want without any additional sort of paperwork?

6. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

It does suck because of all the extra work but it keeps the streets safe.

I'm planning on getting a Sig P226 or a Norinco NP-22 which is a Chinese P226 clone that costs 1/4 of the price. I just need to find some more reviews on the Norinco. They aren't available in the USA due to ATF laws so it's hard to find a lot of info on the web.

http://www.marstar.ca/Norinco/NP-22.htm

7. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

You have to register each weapon you purchase. That part of it is kinda gay but again it all comes down to gun control. Lots more work for the gun owners but check out our gun statistics.

8. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Just spend the money and get the quality of the sig for all the hassle you're gonna get.

9. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

Sig P226 -> $1162+tax
    Norinco NP-22 -> $349+tax

There is such a staggering price difference. I could buy the NP-22 and if I don't like it, sell it and pick up the Sig!

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If that Norinco copy is anywhere near the quality of their 1911's, which I bet it is, you'll be set either way. Unless you can swing the SIG just get the Norinco and shoot it a lot :)

11. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

Thats what I've read. I hear they make good guns!

12. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i don't think that's bad at all ;)

13. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

The opposition to the gun registry is very strong here. It kinda sucks because if you get pulled over and a cop runs your plate it'll flash up and tell him you own a handgun. Could lead to a cop making assumptions.

14. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i think the same can be said for those with concealed carry permits in the united states.

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Yeah because we all know that criminals always file the proper paperwork to get a gun :mamoru:

16. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

Definetly!

17. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

nope, but we do know that the flow of guns in Canada is like a stream whereas in the US it's a class 5 rapid. The marjority of guns start off in the possesion of a legal owner. You'd be surprised how many people don't bother getting a firearm if you make them work for it. That's fewer weapons in the public domain, which is a good thing.

18. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I agree with that aspect, there are ALOT of people in the US that own firearms that really don't need them and don't know how to safely use and store them. I'm sure there'd be alot less accidental shootings if people had to actually put a little work and thought into buying a gun, rather than just throwing down some cash.

19. oakie

oakie my ninja.

as for american articles, you're limited to the Norinco 1911. but articles on that gun should be representative of their whole product line, as usually is with any gun manufacturer. google up 'norinco 1911'.

they also have a clone of the compact P228.

i also posted again in your other thread with some links.

20. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

Our laws are a crock of shit, Boots you sound like you're just laying down and taking it like the government tells you to do. From your comments you have obviously been brainwashed by Wendy Cukier and her federally funded coalition for gun control.

I have my restricted license.

When you buy a handgun they have to initiate a transfer from the business to you. This can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks. After this you can get your handgun shipped to you (if you are doing it this way like I did) or if you are buying it in person then you would get a temp transport permit by calling the CFC. I'm not sure when you're buying it in person if the business handles the ATT or if you have to. Regardless, you wont get your gun that day. As part of the transfer, your new registration will be mailed to you from the CFC.

21. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

I've shot at ranges and met many firearm enthusiasts in both Canada and the US. Gun control is an extremely good thing. So what you have to jump through some hoops to get a firearm. It's the way it should be. These are not toys. I don't agree with having to register the guns, however I think a Restricted PAL is a good thing.

Call it brainwashed, I call it wanting to continue to live in a country where guns are not a fashion accessory.

22. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

ATT's = ridiculous government handholding
    Being subject to random police searches = bullshit
    etc

If they wanted effective laws they would target those who are prohibited from owning guns in the first place. That way people like Roszko would be the target of laws, and not those who don't commit the crimes.

23. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Yeah, because you know how wild and crazy those guns get if you don't let them know who the boss is. I was walking down the street once, and I saw a bunch of guns huddled in an alley smoking crack. Someone really should get those guns under control.

Firearms regulations aren't about safety, they're about control. You have a birthright to defend yourself and others. I would consider it a responsibility. If owning a firearm aids you in that right and responsibility, HINDERING that ownership is an infringement upon your rights and mine. Making a bunch of laws that, in your words, make it harder to obtain firearms is an infringement on the rights of everyone to defend themselves, their rights, their property, and their families.

Also, CA may be different because of its registration and all that, but in GA, no information is listed in any database about an individual's firearm ownership or carry permit status. It's not available to any old officer to pull up on a computer. You would need a warrant to get a copy of a 4473, and you'd have to look through a different system to find out who the carry permit holders are. It's not associated with your driver's license information, and officers who pull you over are not privvy to that info.

Welcome to another gun control thread.

24. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

:noes:

Let's try and keep it about Canada though, i know that besides the fact they can get SIG 550's, owning guns almost isn't worth the trouble. But it's good to hear about what is needed to keep heat up there.

25. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

I have the right to jump in front of a train if I wanted to as well but it doesn't mean I have to do it. Besides, I don't really feel the need to defend myself from anything :dunno: I'm more likely to die from my diet then any threat I may encounter in my daily life :mamoru: