A&P Attn: Camera/Photography people

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Minty Fresh, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to photography. And I want to get into it as a hobby on the side. And I'm wanting a really good camera to work with...would prefer digital, with SLR type quality. Now I know that's not really gonna be possible 100% (right?), but some cameras are close (right?). I've been reading some reviews on this camera, and it looks to be a winner.

What do you think?

http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/index.html

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I have the Digital Rebel and love it. This camera is considered a Digital SLR and there's a bunch out on the market now..some affordable and others are costly.

Some will say go with the 10D which is a step up from the 300D (Digital Rebel) or the Nikon fans will chime in and argue to stick with theirs. The image quality is awesome and if you wanted to print out your images at the local photo store, you'd be hard pressed to tell a big difference between the digital rebel shots and a normal film rebel.

Here's some examples of the photo's I've taken with my 300D
    http://jpdean.deviantart.com

For a great site that gives you lots of comparison information and overviews of digital cameras check out http://www.dpreview.com

3. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm not going "professional" with it or anything, mainly to take some beach shots, nature, cars...for fun. (But I want a really good camera....cuz I might want to frame them and whatnot, and my little Sony Cybershot isn't gonna cut it! LOL) And I'm sure I'm not really gonna be able to tell the diff between a shot from the 10D, or the Nikon's I've been looking at.

Nice photos btw! I'm really liking what I've seen so far with this camera, from you...as well as some others! DPREVIEW seemed to like it....on their update...they "Highly Recommended" it. So it's looking pretty good1

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I've looked at alot of shots taken with both a 300D and a 10D and I've never been able to tell a difference in the image quality. The 10D has more features and is built like a tank, while the 300D is not.. that's what you pay for. But if I were you, I wouldnt go ahead and get the 300D right now, wait until reviews hit the net of the Nikon D70, you may like the image quality more than the 300D (or it may have something else you like more)... I know the 300D images look very silky and smooth - which is great in some circumstances - but you may like how the D70 looks instead...

Let us know what you decide to go with

5. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

Well...I went ahead and placed all my orders!!! :big grin:

I got -

Canon 300D w/ 18-55mm EF-S Lens
    Extra 300D LithION Battery
    Lexar 512MB CF Card
    Lexar 256MB CF Card
    Sandisk CF Reader
    Canon Delux Tripod 200
    Hoya 58mm UV Lens Filter
    Nikon LensPen
    Tamrac Digital 6 Bag

I plan on getting a Polarizer, ext. Flash, and a Lens Hood later!

I can't wait!!!

6. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I've been very pleased with the life on my battery so I dunno if you needed that extra one but it won't hurt. Let us know when you've taken some pics...I'd love to see em

7. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

Cool...that's good to know. I wasn't sure...so I thought I'd get an extra jsut in case. But yeah...as soon as I get it, I'll take some practice shots, and post them up!

8. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

As soon as I get the money im selling my fuji s5000 and buying the rebel... i played with it at Ritz Camera, its a very nice camera. The lense they give you is pretty good for $100. :big grin:

9. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I have a digital rebel as well. I got the kit back in October with the 18-55 EFS lens (i hate it), and I got a sigma 70-300mm lens as well.
    The battery life is amazing, the only reason I'm going to get a 2nd battery is to add some weight to the grip when I get it.

I just ordered a 28-135mm lens for it, can't wait for it to arrive (should be monday or tuesday). Just to re-iterate, I hate the 18-55mm lens. Go get either the cheap 28-80 or the 28-90 usm.

10. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

Yeah, I thought about the D70. But the only thing it really had over the 300D that I personally thought was significant...was the Dynamic Buffering. The slight jump in shutter speed is not that important to me (among other things)....and I like Canon's lineup of lenses much better. But the D70 looks to be an awesome camera....and I'd love to have both if I could. hehe

11. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

A lot of people I've talked to say they really like the 18-55...especially for it being a $100 lens! But yeah, I'll be adding a few more lenses to my collection as well.

12. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I've been satisfied with the 18-55mm lens.....For only $100 its hard to beat. I really want to get a decent zoom lens and am not sure if I should get the 28-135 or 75-300mm.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

14. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Those are the best pics I've seen with that lens so far. Some pics I've seen have been less than great but these change my mind a little.

15. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

Wow!!! Those pics were incredible!!!!

16. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

i think it was a good investment for the price... but i just personally hate it. I don't know why. For some reason, it doesn't feel right in my hand. Mind you, the 28-135 I just bought is really heavy... so I can't guarentee it will feel right.