A&P attn:bioyuki, even loudsytem.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BAM, Feb 24, 2003.

1. BAM

BAM betterthanyou'er OT Supporter

i read that long ass thread about the nikon coolpix 5700 and the sony f717...1st off thanks for helping me understand the cameras alil bit more...im in the same situation and i need to make a decision asap.. im leaning towards the sony just because i have a 3.3 and im comfortable w/sony but if the nikon is better then pls say so. the only things that i didnt understand in that thread is the severely technical parts...so in semi laymans/ beginning photographer terms can u tell me which is better.

most of my future work will be hopefully commercial or fashion work..im not too concerned about that now, im mostly concerned about learning more about my cameras.. i also just started taking classes in 35mm...im doing the beginner ish right now..black and whites etc... i have a nikon fm-10. anyway...any info is helpful. im trying to self teach myself alot of things until i can find the right resources to help me along..shit hopefully ill make a career out of it 1 day..thanks.

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

If your shooting Nikon now why not stay with nikon?

The only problem with the Nikon 5700 I low light situations it wont auto focus.
    I have the 5700 and love it.

I have never messed with the 717 but I have seen what it can do. The only problem I had with it was the lack of storage but they have come out with larger sticks now so that isnt a concern anymore.

You will be happy with either one.

Or just step up to the D100

3. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Goto your local shops and try out both...Samy's should be able to help you with all your needs.

The F717 is limited by two things...memory type and the inability to shoot in a RAW format. Even though Sony has released higher capacity memory sticks they're still expensive as hell and still can't match the storage of compact flash.

The second and most important difference is that the 5700 can shoot RAW and the F717 cannot. A RAW file is basically a digital negative...its the data that comes straight from the sensor and is not processed internally by the camera. All higher level cameras can do this regardless of brand (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta etc) except for Sony.

I think BibbleLabs (software producers) sums it up best by saying "Raw = Power". By shooting RAW you don't have to worry about image quality (no compression) and any of the settings because you can go back and change it later. For example, If I underexpose my image, I can go back into Nikon Capture or Photoshop and adjust the EV by +-3 and see the change to the image in real time as I do so. If the white balance is off I can go back and adjust that as well. I know with Nikon's NEF (Nikon's RAW file) you can adjust exposure, sharpening, tone including custom curves, saturation, colorspace mode, gray point, vignette control, edge noise reduction etc.

I didn't really think about being able to shoot RAW at all when I bought my camera but now I find that its probably one of the biggest advantadges of shooting with a higher end camera. RAW really is power.

The Sony F717 really is a great camera but it just doesn't have the features that the 5700 has. Seriously though, go down to Samy's and spend some time there with the cameras and employees...they're pretty knowledgable.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to email me or hit me up on AIM.

4. BAM

BAM betterthanyou'er OT Supporter

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: thanks man..that clears up alot... im also going to download that SI software once i get my new camera. are u local to Los angeles??? if so we need to hang out..or let me pick ur brain for an hour or so @ hooters :big grin: lemme know thanks alot..i'll try sammy's tomorrow.