Attn: 04

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

There was a thread a while ago where you were going to show me the 'clip' on a speaker with a calc.

I finally got a ti 83.

I can't find that post so I'm hoping you will reiterate the question and explanation for me.

2. GSteg

GSteg Member

i too would like the "clip" :big grin:

3. 04

04 Guest

Well, actually all that I wanted you to graph was: y=(1/3) * sin(3x) + sin(x)

sin(x) would be our fundamental frequency, say a 40hz bass note. Pretend you turned up the volume, and clipped the waveform totally. You would have a fundamental of 40hz (which would be the sin(x)). You would also have a harmonic distortion content. y=(1/3) * sin(3x) + sin(x) is the third harmonic, which is 1/3 the amplitude of the orignal. The 5th would be 1/5 and so on, but we arent graphing those.

After you graph that, only graph sin(x) on y2 at the same time for comparision. As you can see, it's peak amplitude is equal to that of the wave with the fundamental and its 3rd harmonic. BUT, the power is MORE, because the risetime is faster, and it "stays" at the peak longer. So, the harmonic distortion increases power. As you go up the scale of harmonics, at some point, the voice coil's inductance will begin to attnuate the higher frequency harmonics, making the square wave less "square".

Lemme know as soon as you do that and I'll explain more. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
  4. GSteg

GSteg Member

pshh..i thought it was some video clip or something. lol.

5. 04

04 Guest

:o

No, in the OT forum there was a thread about speakers blowing up, and people said that when an amplifier clipped, it destroyed the speaker.

So I explained that was not the case ;)

Heres a good link:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/note128.pdf