SRS Attitude problem? Condescending towards coworkers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EE CUMMINGS, Jun 19, 2005.

1. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

I am going through training at my new work.

However, I feel like i am always constantly undermining my coworkers in my head and i feel like i am literally better than them.

I get so frustrated when they ask questions i know the answer to or when they can't finish the same task we're all assigned to do in the same time frame as me.

EX:

I got so fucking pissed off when we were assigned groups in our training class and given a team assignment. everyone in the fucking team took fucking forever an di couldnt not believe in the LIFE OF ME WHY IT WOULD TAKE SO FUCKING LONG at one point i almost wanted to scream, HEY LET ME DO THIS ALL YOU FUCKING DUMB FUCKS.

the task required us to look up some information online and write it down on a piece of paper. i mean WTF. theres no high level thinking involved, they tell us which website to go to and what item to look at HOW FUCKING HARD IS THAT? JESUS FUCK I WAS MAD AND I AM STILL MAD. it took our group and the other groups over 10 minutes to do this. I FUCKING DID IT ALL IN 30 SECONDS FUCK.

There are some other coworkers that i dont mind and we get along though.

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

How the fuck did you achieve 7K posts so quickly? U were 5K a little while ago!

3. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

Get a job which requires more skills? Sounds like you chose a job that was "under" you.

4. johan

johan Active Member

Yup. You should try to get placed in a more challenging job. The odd one out is...you. Not all the rest of them. Sounds like they were in an appropriate job for their level of ability.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I think you might need anger management therapy. It's not healthy to be so upset about something as minor as you describe long after the fact. Is counseling an option?

In the mean time, I'd say the simplest technique at controlling frustration and anger is counting. Yea, literally counting from 1 to 10. Sounds dumb, but it can actually work sometimes. It can take your mind off the situation long enough to allow you to calm down and react more appropriately.

Also, instead of getting upset with your co-workers, you could offer to help, show them a more efficent way of doing things, etc. Make sure your offer of help seems genuine (this is easier when it actually is), and don't put them down while instructing. This way, you can vent your frustration, and at the same time accomplish the task more quickly.

6. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

kind of a chicken and the egg situation there old mate ... (which came first, the problem or the symptoms??)

I agree with veonake, but PHOBOPHILEE, did you want an honest answer??

(oht oh!!)

I wager that you have feelings of inadequacy, and feel inadequate in your life ...

I take it that you are also single, yes??

and spend a lot of time on your computer??

I seriously think that this should be a sign to you to clean up your shit, and actually do something with your life ...

fuck, man!!

if you can do this shit, and you can even get onto a site like this, wtf are you doing in this job anyways??

seriously, if you have wigged out this big, there is something else in your life not really going right ...

and I am fucking proud of you for letting rip, and coming on here asking for help ... you wanted help didn't you?? or at least understanding??

you seem like a caring person, so be a caring person, man ...

care for yourself, and the other people involved, and SORT YOUR SHIT OUT!!

:o

7. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

Well this job has two main components/skills to it. I have one of the components mastered and the other one i never had any experience in doing. The other component of the job I am able to learn and absorb very quickly and can follow the trainer. I just do not understand why some people take so long to learn. I have always been the one that finishes everything the fastest and is able to learn just about anything faster than everyone.

In my mind/thinking, if I was the company i would want someone who is willing to learn in a fast paced environment. I am that candidate, not a lot of my other co workers. my other co workers are the reason why the company cannot achieve/excel even more than they are now.

If i was a manager i would fire the asses of those losers who like chit chatting while the trainers are instructing and generally dont have an attitude to succeed. I am in this job to work for MYSELF and advance to other, bigger career opportunities within the company. I do not care for others, its a dog eat dog world , especially in corporate america. I am just a number and I want to make sure that I do my absolute best and go where I want to go (advance in the company)

There are other coworkers that i get along with fine, its just that certain ones just piss me off.

9. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

:)

I had a feeling that what you just said was exactly my problem. I just find it so hard to want to help others when a lot of times in my life no one has ever helped me. My mom tells me how so much backstabbing is involved in the corporate environment. I hate this, i wish there was no bs involved but sadly workplace politics are unavoidable. Shes been working at a large company for many years and was able to survive all the layoffs, etc. She says never be too friendly with people and never share too much information because your coworkers will straight up steal it and say it was their original idea.

Im not working for the money. Money has never been an issue for me, I don't need to be wealthy, I just need to be occupied and working for a cause. I want to work for a company and see that my work produced results. I hated it when we first introduced ourselves to the group and what our goals for the class was. almost everyone said BIG MONEY. i hated that attitude of people working soley for big money. like i said earlier, i want to work because i want to be challenged and kept occupied and to move up the corporate ladder. money is more of a 2nd hand/afterthought.

10. Then you now know what you must do. Your problem is not a psychological one, or even a material issue. The problem is you may not have recognized how critical it is, and how harmful it is to yourself to continue doing things the way you have. When you are critical and hold ongoing judgment of others, then you may as well be tying your own noose, ...seriously. Our attitude about others and what we think really do influence exactly who we become.

If you want to be challenged, and if you're sincerely interested in moving up -- then you must become a servant to others in that process. As you guide and help others while also strengthening your own knowledge, you are lifted up by the very people who you ironically served. Be brilliant, and intelligent. Be hardworking, and driven. But -- be humble and remember my words, because this is your opportunity to really understand how to accomplish the very goal you're seeking.

My challenge to you is to break your bad habit and exercise a new way of being and thinking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2005