SRS Attention Whore/Exhibitionist or something else?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MissKitty, Mar 14, 2010.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Some of you know my history. Went through a period in my life where I had very little self esteem and turned to the Internet and the faceless masses to boost my ego. Classic attention whoring and I am happily to admit it.

However I am now at a place in my life where I have no need to turn to anyone outside my group of friends and family for validation. Very confident with who I am and secure enough that if someone likes me or not, it's water off a duck's back. I have no interest in if people think I am hot, sexy, skinny, or similar. However I still find myself showing off. Not so much in sense that I want people to give me attention, but more so I just want to show off. I am an aries so I know (if you believe in that crap) it's a part of me.

I don't think I am an attention whore, because if no attention is received I am okay. But I still want to be noticed, if you know what I mean? I don't get embarrassed and won't hesitate to do something in public even if I know it will attract attention (hand stands in a video store for example).

Is this a normal character trait, or, like in my past, am I trying to make up for something I am lacking?

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

you're a woman /thread

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

all women will forever be attention whores. people thrive from attention (good or bad)

4. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

do you read your threads?

5. MissKitty

Well I sure am glad I asked here and not in the main. If I asked in the main I would have got bullshit responses aimed more at me rather than the topic posted.

6. haku

haku OT Supporter

7. MissKitty

8. haku

haku OT Supporter

ehh im taking a psych course right now and it came up. so i thought i'd pass along the info :)

9. MissKitty

I don't manipulate other people, I don't sexualise my relationships (real or not), and I don't act in such a way to impress people. I don't change, I am me, it's not easy to influence me. I don't wear make up and I am not theatrical.

I am not even close to that diagnosis. I am happy to hear of genuine ones though

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

For real? In The Asylum?

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Personally, I think your subconscious doesn't really agree with your conscious.

"Very confident with who I am and secure enough that if someone likes me or not, it's water off a duck's back."

Everybody wants to be liked and accepted. I believe that you don't let it ruin your day if you find out someone doesn't like you, but I have a feeling it still bothers you in certain situations.

"I have no interest in if people think I am hot, sexy, skinny, or similar."

This statement I find extremely hard to believe. Everybody wants to be and feel attractive. The fact that you are telling yourself this impossible belief shows me where some of the conflict in your head is.

My former therapist used to see right through me when I would say things like "I believe I can have any woman I want," and "I love my girlfriend very much." She would point to her head and say "Okay Tyler, you believe it up here," and then she would point to her stomach and say "but do you honestly believe that down here?"

I personally believe that you are having issues that only a therapist can explore for you. Please don't take the word "issues" in a negative way, because everybody has issues all the time, even therapists. The reason I say this is because our brains can fool us into believing things that our subconscious simply does not.

12. MissKitty

Not when it comes to people on the Internet, or strangers in a shop. I know it takes a long time to build up a friendship and while first impressions count but I am not about to start from the get go to impress people. A lot of people care about what strangers think of them, but I don't. I am polite to strangers because I care about how I carry myself and because I demand a certain level of standard for myself. I don't do it because I want people to like me.

I used to feel strongly about people finding me attractive. I thought how I looked meant more than who I was as a person. Again, I am aware that first impressions are important but I am kind of anti first impressions in a way. If someone is going to discount who I am because of how I look, I have no interest in them or what they think.
    I am also in a very strong and loving relationship and I care what my husband thinks of me. I care if he finds me hot, sexy, and attractive. I admit that. What he thinks of me matters a lot. But people outside of my family or friends have no basis on how I carry myself in terms of looks. I can't control what other people think. If I carry myself in such a way that I am proud of that is all that matters to me.

I am very aware and open and talk to my husband (and best friend - who has had lots of therapy :p) regularly about the possibility of how screwed up I could be. So far no real issues have arisen that can't be sorted out by talking to someone and putting emotions and feelings into words. My stomach and head are always aligned.

I have met with social workers and psychologists in the past and 90% of them said because I had a strong awareness of 'issues' they couldn't really do anything more for me. I was as worked on as I could be.

About 10 years ago I was told by a therapist that I had a polyanna type personality. I have never really found out what that means though :ugh: But due to where I was at the time, I would believe anything :mamoru:

Not trying to argue to discount anything you said. I am very open to other possibilities and I enjoy being made to think. :) The fact I wrote so much means your post was very helpful

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until I read bold. That's just straight up attention whoring at it's finest :dunno:

14. 7960

7960 New Member

WTF, the topic you posted *IS* you.

15. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

If it were me I'd say for the thrill of acting out once in a while ...

Constant & it's an issue; now & again is not so bad.

16. MissKitty

:rofl: I should clarify that. I don't just break into handstands while out in public. I did at the park over the weekend, but it's a park - you're meant to do handstands there.
    But at the moment our group have a challenge going on where we have to do a handstand a day for the month of march in different place. Rather than doing it in different rooms of the house I am going out in public and doing it all over the place. Yesterday was in a video store (after permission from the workers). I have no embarrassment of doing that, the next will be inside a supermarket, and it's a non event for me. The fact I can get cool shots in different places (and better everyone else) is what drives me.

17. hypotenuse

hypotenuse New Member

Sounds like standard-issue female psychology

18. teo

teo . => ? => !

How about "rampant extrovert"?

19. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rofl: I'm glad you clarified, that is completely different!

20. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I think you're confusing attention whore is something else....

21. MissKitty

:dunno: It could be, it could not be. By your reply I am guessing you still think I am an attention whore. Wasn't trying to say I wasn't based on your definition, just giving you more context.

22. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:roflw: this

23. THoC

THoC New Member

i dont see the big deal. to me attention whoring that is negative is, but not limited to: girls making out with girls just to get attention, girls dancing all slutty for attention, etc... not that i hate this girls but i would not get into a serious RS with them.

what you are doing seems fine with me. even comical to the point that i would enjoy your company.

24. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Sometimes people take symptoms too literally. Also, you don't need to have all symptoms to be qualified with this kind of personality disorder.
    The most important thing to know though is : does your personality/behavior interfere with your life (job, school, friends) whatever they are?
    If not, I wouldn't worry about it. People differ and you might be somewhat higher on the attention whoring trait but it's not a problem. Women usually are attention seeker to a certain extent and it's normal.

25. MissKitty

It doesn't interfere with my life at all, other than my ability to over analyse everything. It gives me more to analyse and I don't know why