Attention RB series fans..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Shiftknob, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

My buddy has a 1978 Datsun 280z. He has a RBs5DET swap, the car should be ready Monday. It has some bolt ons, intake, 3" downpipe, 3" cutout mated to 3" exhaust with a N1 muffler. It has a stock 1JZ supra FMIC....and an MBC...I think stock boost is 7psi? I was wondering how safe it is to go to 12 or so? I know you can turn it up a decent amount, but how much. The car weighs about 2700 lbs....

I am sure it will be quick but I dont think it will be a speed machine, and he may have a hard time beating my POS neon. What do you think it should do? Low [email protected]?

2. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

Get some pics.......

3. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Should have some today or tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Rode in it tonight, nice car. The RB gears are long, 1st gear seems as if it goes to a high mph. Feels like a bike, not too torquey (these motors put out 215 lb ft at the crank stock)...which isnt torquey in my book...but i drive a neon with 330 LB FT at the wheels, so..

I'm gonna run him tthis week, digs, rolls, etc...Ill try to get it on camera and post it. I should take him with ease , although it did feel quick

5. synthgti

synthgti Ride for Vengeance

With a better intercooler he can run 1 bar safely. What is he using to tune it? It should be good for 12's. He should upgrade to 280zx cv's and maybe a 3.7 gear r200 from a 240sx.

6. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

He has a stock 1JZ supra FMIC, its pretty decent for now. i told him to go with E manage or Rom edit since he isnt too into going mod crazy (I would). He needs an MBC, bringing the boost from 7to 13 should yield some nice gains.

He ran my buddy's SRT the other night, 50 roll. SRT stays in front all; the way til 110, then the 4th gear in the Z lasts forever and he passed us. SRT traps 103, so id say the Z traps 105ish.

As for his tranny, he is running one out of an RB20DET....the RB25DET shifter housing sat wayyyy too far back. What is the gear like in that ttranny, and how would it compare to the 3.7 you mentioned???

7. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Active Member

It is plenty safe to boost 12psi on a stock rb25...... with that setup, he'll be in 12's unless he totally sucks at driving.

8. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Well he ran it, he was scared to launch it with his stock rear end, but I told him to just go for it but he didnt. So the end result was [email protected] and [email protected]...ehhh....

I told him it would trap 105-106 though, judging the way it pulled my buddies car that goes 103's...

Oddly, its been cold here in FL lately and its been boosting high, creeping all the way to almost 1 bar (13ish psi), which is high for a stock motor. But he found out the stock boost control solenoid is a 2 step program, which after 4500 lets the boost creep high, but we dont know why it goes THAT high...

9. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Active Member

14.1 in a 2700lb car? :hsugh: :hsugh: