attention Gogz, christophers, Ceaze

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Pertaining to this article...
    http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/magpage.php?issueID=45&artID=85

On sub max lifts (less than 70% of max)... working on mostly technique with low reps (approx. 2-3) and multiple sets... where would the oly lifts rank?

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

itd depend on the rest of your volume throughout the week and how many sets youre doing of the oly lifts. obviously you can be conditioned to do those lifts everyday especially if youre just doing technique work for a few sets everyday. add stuff in slowly, if you feel like youre getting beat up, speed goes down, other lifts suffer, etc back off. you probably shouldnt be doing failure training at all if youre going to take this approach.

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

You mean no training to failure on the other days?

Thanks, Gogz. Have to go pretty light for everything anyway.... messed up my right wrist a little.

4. GOGZILLA

yeah high frequency training you always want to leave gas in the tank because youre training so often. you do sets like 2-3 reps at like 75-85%. there was a good graph in science and practice of sports training theres some kind of chart in one of the chapters that takes a huge training program and gives an average on sets/reps/percentage and something like 80% of the lifts are sets of 2 at 70-90% i dont remember the numbers exactly, it was ceazes book. olympic lifting is tricky because if you dont go heavy enough you get your form good with light weights but when you get something heavy you go to shit but at the same time if you go like 95%+ too often youll get fried.

5. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

really good post

6. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

whole heartedly agree

learned this the hard way over summer. i got too emotional in the gym wanting to go hard frequently, getting competitive with my partner etc. over the course of the summer we learned to back off and what that means per to you... "leaving gas in the tank" is the exact way we phrased it too. we were able to have our four main training days + 2 extra workouts per week once we got it correct

7. GOGZILLA

another important note in that book was about "emotional intensity" in the gym. All gym lift percentages should be based off a gym max and that max should be done without getting "fired up", basically a max lift with no adrenaline involved. Otherwise it skews your percentages and leads to burnout if you base lifting youre doing everyday, when youre not super pumped like a meet, off a competition max.

8. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

dude, you're on a roll this morning. we had to take that point into account too, if I was really really focused and fired up for a lift, I'd consider my max about 10 or 20 pounds less when I was basing percentages so that I could sustain training without getting to burned out.

I like this whole learning through experimentation thing, seems like I'm learning the right stuff!

Thanks Gogz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.