SRS Attention dog owners.. When is it "time"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bear Klaw, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

I have a 11 1/2 year old German shepard mix. Sinice the beginning of fall, she started having issues walking. We were told by her doctor she has a nerve issue somewhere in her spine. Her brain can not send singles to her back leg.
    Within the past few months it has gotten bad enough she can't walk anymore. I developed a system in which i put a scarf under her and hold it with one hand which hold her rear end up. And she can walk and run just fine as long as i keep up with her. She does'nt seem to be in pain and seems very happy. She is still filled with energy and sometimes comes off as still being a young puppy. She is my first dog and a great one at that. I've become very sad today when i noticed she keeps licking her genital area, there seems to be a discharge of puss like substance coming out. I have not called the vets yet, As i am sure what every is wrong is going to cost money that i do not have, and considering it may be told she can't be helped.

I've wanted her to hold off being put down as long as she is happy and not in pain. To which she is happy, and not in pain, and does'nt seem to be in pain due to this issue.

She had a track infection a few months ago, where she had blood in her piss. They gave her anti boitics and it went away, this seems different though.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

2. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

That's crappy man. I have no suggestions for ya, but I hope the best for you and your puppah. Good luck to you both. :hug:

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Take her to the vet. I don't know how much that costs, but maybe you have some friends/family that could help you with the bill.

4. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Try to find a low cost clinic and make it clear when you take her in that you are on a budget so you need to know the price of everything before they do it. Some clinics are very affordable and will work with you on splitting up the bill into smaller payments if you can't pay all at once. It sounds like something worth looking at because sometimes dogs can seem very sick when in reality it's a very easy fix. Goodluck!

5. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

take her to the vet to see what it is. It could be something simple. If shes happy keep her around but if not and she needs alot of medical stuff I'd put her down. Good luck

6. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

by the way they have alot of humane societies that will pay for vet care

7. julia!

julia! New Member

It more than likely has something to do with the infection from before. I think it could be cleared up with more antibiotics. I would try and just take to a vet ask them to look at her and see what they say. i doubt it's too b ad and if she is happy and not in pain then dont put her down. That would be really sad, and would more than likely upset you too. I dont think thats the right choice at all.

8. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I would definitely take her to the vet to find out what's wrong. You may be able to fix whatever it is NOW, instead of letting it worsen and then it be irreversible.

I know the thought of putting a dog down is hard ... My German Shepard was 14 years old when my dad had her put to sleep due to lyme disease in her kidneys. She acted like a puppy all 14 years. I'd had her my entire life and it was hard. But if they're suffering it's what you gotta do. :hs: (Btw, this is just a statement. You say your doggah is still happy and not showing signs of pain, then that's great :))

9. mahal.

mahal. mahal kita? OT Supporter

take her to the vet. if the discharge issue can be fixed, then consider attaching a doggie wheelchair to her hind legs. if it can't then and she's definitely in pain, then it's time.

i had to put down my dog a few months ago bc of cancer. it was the hardest thing i had to do. he was in pain and couldn't eat on his own, so it was time. :wtc: you'll know when it's time.

doggie wheelchair example:
    [​IMG]

10. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

You gotta get her into the vet to have them look at the discharge. As far as "when is it time" its time when the dog cannot function and take care of herself or is in pain. Dont be selfish and keep her around so that you dont have to deal with the pain, that is not fair to the animal.

11. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

tHANKS for your suggestions, i made this same thread in off topic and got a lot more reponses. SOmeone pointed me to a leash that is ment to hold dogs up whom can't walk on their own. I shall get it when i have some extra money

12. atm83

atm83 New Member

a lot of times dogs and cats cover up thier pain...its thier wild animal instinct

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:ugh:

Think of the pressure exerted on that dogs neck.

I hope the leash is tied to a harness and not a collar if you're going to be doing that.

14. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

it goes under her belly for her rear legs :ugh:

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Oh, you meant a specific leash. I thought you mean a leash like leashes in general. That's why I was like :ugh:

16. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

i have a special harness now that has a pad that i use, i can leave it on all the time and pick her up wheneever

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

i dunno man....i believe that once their quality of life starts suffering it's time.

this harness may be a great idea for YOU but remember, now your dog can not run free and chase after the ball, or play with other dogs, etc.

while she may be happy to be around you, i'm sure that she gets pretty down about not being able to perform regular functions un-aided.

putting down my dog was the hardest thing in the world. i remember going to my parents house and throwing a ball for her. she took off after it literally dragging her rear legs. i almost balled when i saw that.

when it was time for her to go, she knew it and was really brave. she couldn't get herself out of the car but when i went to get her out of the car after telling the vet we were there she was standing up by the door ready to go.

she knew it was time to go and so did i. you'll know this too. just make sure to do things that are best for your dog and not for you.....sorry dude but good luck.

18. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

:wtc:

19. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Damn...I'm sorry its hard times right now for you. I don't even know what you are going through or will have to go through.

I would suggest takin her to the vet ASAP.

20. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

I dunno but my mom has a 14 year old German Shorthair Pointer that IMO needs to be put down. She asks me about it and I give her my honest opinion and she starts crying. Dog has lost all control of his bladder and pisses in the house all the damn time. Been doing that for a good few months now. Takes him 5 mins to get off the couch and can barely sit or stand his bones/muscles are so sore.

21. HipHopHead

But she has talked to other people and they told her she will know when it's time. When the dog won't eat or isn't happy to see you anymore. Stuff like that.

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

That's bullshit. You honestly don't think it bothers the dog that he can't control his bladder or that he can't run and play like he used to?

The dog will ALWAYS be happy to see you. That's what makes them amazing.

No direspect on your mom but as hard a decision as this is she's being selfish. She's prolonging the life of her dog for HER. Because SHE will miss him and can't stand to live without him. Basic human emotion. She needs to step back and do what's best for the dog. And I think you know what the answer to that is...

23. HipHopHead

Agreed, like I originally said I think the dog should be put down. Whenever she brings it up (I never do) she breaks down. She's in major denial I think. :sad2:

24. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

my dog eat wells and has not yet lost control of her bladder or bowls. SHe runs when i take her outside and pulls me along with her