Attempting to use JDBC along with html . . .

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeeVoc, Apr 22, 2003.

1. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

So basically what I want to be able to do is have it so that I have a webpage set up with embedded html that will take information filled out in forms and send it to a database via jdbc. I know it's possible but I can't find any examples like. If anyone could point me in the direction of anything where an html page is interacting with embedded html I'd really apppreciate it. Any tutorials or examples would be good. Thanks.

2. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

I realize making an entire app using swing would be a straightforward way to do it, but if I could html I think it'd look a lot nicer have a definate advantage as far as ease of use.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I can code up something quick. Give me a bit. Do you have MySQL and Tomcat?

4. CompiledMonkey

Ok, I'm done. I zipped up the entire project, so if you use JBuilder you can just unzip and open the .jpx project file.

Flow:

index.jsp takes two input variables. Once submitted, the ProcessForm servlet is invoked. It gets the two variables, prints them to the screen, creates a session setting each variable in session, and calling a method from the Database class. The setValues method from the Database takes userName and userPassword Strings. You'll need to add the SQL statement yourself, but hopefully you'll get what's going on in there. After the database call is finished and the session gets created, you get redirected to the results.jsp page where the values are gotten from session and displayed to the screen.

Hope this helps. And let me know if something doesn't work right.

http://www.compiledmonkey.com/cm/WebTutorial.zip

*Edit* Also, normally you wouldn't do it this way. Having scriplets in the jsp is bad practice. I would normally use a JavaBean to handle any data being passed around. But for learning purposes, this should be fine.

5. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

hrm, alright. I'm kind of at bay as to what's available to me on the class server. From what I'm looking at it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it all using swing. Thanks for the example though, I'll try to code something up once I finish this project so I can get more familiar.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Chris,

Have you got Tomcat/Connectors working with Apache on your linux box?

7. CompiledMonkey

No, I've never tried to get that working. I've heard it's a bitch though.

8. SLED

yeah, it is a bitch. I can get Tomcat running by itself, not hard at all.. but using the connectors to link up to apache is a pain in the ass. I'll be doing all that shit tonight over at this jobsite I've picked up. I'll let you know if all goes well ;)

It seems that all the howto's i find are all out of date, or don't work with apache2 :mad:

9. CompiledMonkey

Yeah, a professor I've been working with is big into Unix and J2EE. The school uses JRun I believe, but they want to move to Apache/Tomcat and just drop EJBs. He said it took him awhile to get Apache and Tomcat working together. For my development purposes, I just run Tomcat on my laptop. I guess it lacks the security of Apache, but I'm not really sure. My apps deploy to WebLogic and other application servers fine. :dunno:

10. SLED

hell, if it's just local, why even worry about security? And if it deploy's who cares.

We wrote document controll software running jsp, and i'm trying to deploy it. My partner developed it in Oracle and on a Sun box which has some 3rd party connector that he bought and runs pretty seemlessly. So we're trying to deploy it at this client's network on a linux box. I was there freaking late last night. It doesn't help that the network card driver has a bug and the system keeps hanging on me :mad:

11. CompiledMonkey

Exactly.

Sounds cool. I was actually going to work on something like that a few months ago, but other items came up with higher priority. Good luck with it.

12. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

UPDATE: So my prof and TA are both working hard to fuck up whatever plan I start to work on. I start looking into JSP and it's not available on the class programming cluster, which I have to use. Then I say, "fuck it, I'll do it the hard way and do it all in swing", but no prof insists in class that we do it in a web interface as stated on the spec. It turns out that both apache and tomcat may be installed and working correctly on the server, but the TA is looking to it :o.

So here's where I'm confused. If tomcat is workign correctly on the cluster can't I then begin to implement jsp pages? I'm thumbing through my thinking in java manual and that's what it's telling me. Just kinda confused here and my TA is still grasping english so he's not too much of a help. Thanks.

CM - I really appreciate the example, but I don't use jbuilder. I mainly use Drjava or simple text editors. I'm trying to find the file(s) with the meat of the code but most of it just seems to be setup files that borland creats. What exactly should I be looking for?

13. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

nevermind, found the important files. Thanks again. appreciate it.

14. CompiledMonkey

Honestly, when you get into larger projects you'll want something like JBuilder. Do yourself a favor and download the trial version. It sets up everything for you very well.

"tomcat is workign correctly on the cluster can't I then begin to implement jsp pages?"

Yup.

15. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Very impressive...

16. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Dumb question: J2SE or J2EE?

17. CompiledMonkey

J2SE with the Servlet and MySQL jars added to the project. ;)

18. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

Okay, got tomcat installed on my account, but I'm just kind of figuring out how the hell to do everything now. There's no pub directory for my account so I'm trying to see how it's possible to display my jsp pages from a web browser.

Also trying to figure out where I have to store my servlet code so the jsp pages can find and and tomcat can run it.

19. CompiledMonkey

Code:
    -webapps
      -app name
        -WEB-INF
          -classes
            -packages
          -lib
            servlet.jar
          web.xml
        index.jsp

20. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Talk about that in some detail...

Added as in installed (exe), or added via code Import blah.blah

Also, I noticed one of the files had the following line within it.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
    What tool are you using to create this? I noticed the J2EE embedded in the link and it threw me off.

21. CompiledMonkey

First, you'd add the jar file to your WEB-INF/lib directory. Then you call the import statement like you said. Using JBuilder, you right click the project in the top left panel, click properties, click the req libs tab, then add any jar files you want to use. This method basically does what I mentioned in the first method, just through the IDE.

Since Servlets are a part of J2EE, the web.xml is validated against a J2EE dtd. That line is an xml thing, not Java. ;)

When you create a Servlet using the wizard in JBuilder, it creates your deployment descriptor (web.xml) and starts you off with...

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
    <web-app />

22. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

My friend is looking for a full copy of JBuilder, but has no money. :o

23. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

So yeah as long as we're in my thread can either of you help me out with 2 questions I've got?

Tomcat is in my account (on a unix server) and I've got it pointing to the right java directory and chmoddded it so it starts up and shuts down fine. So my questions are as follows

1) Where do I place my .jsp and .java files for everything to work right? Or what must I change to have tomcat know where to look?

2) How would I go about making my jsp files viewable by a browser since the only directory I'm provided with is my account directory. (no pub directory or anything). The account in on lets say foo.umd.edu and my account is say OT555. How would I go about doing it? Thanks.

24. CompiledMonkey

Yeah, the last time I helped you out you complained. :rant2:

I'll just refer your friend to Kazaa or IRC. :o

25. CompiledMonkey

The JSP files go into the "root" directory of your project.

Code:
    -webapps
      -app name
        -WEB-INF
          -classes
            -packages
          -lib
            servlet.jar
          web.xml
        index.jsp

The .class files (servlets, beans, classes, etc.) go into the classes directory. I put packages because normally they are stored in a package.

You'll have to ask your prof or whomever monitors the server. You can also get their help with your first question.