attempting to expand my network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

I have two wireless routers and i want to use them both. without taking a paragraph to explain my current set up, i want to have one router in one room with one physical connection, and then another in another room with a wireless pci (one or more), wireless pcmcia, broadband, and then the connection for the other router.

wireless 802.11b router
    *one cat5 connection

wireless 802.11g router
    *wireless desktop
    *wireless laptop
    *wireless 802.11b router
    *broadband modem

are there limitations that im not aware of?
    can there only be two wireless connections per router?
    what do i do to get the routers to acknowledge each other?
    will the wireless cards automatically connect to the router with the broadband connection?

i have some knowledge of networking (its my major), so dont feel you have to 'tech support' me =)

thanks for your help!

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

So, you want to use one of the routers as a WAP/Switch?
    Most routers say they will allow a complete set (254) of Wireless connections, which I doubt, but I bet they could handle 10 or more pretty seamlessly.

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

both routers are wap/switches

and it looks like the .11b will have an imac plugged into it and thats it, and every thing else will be on the .11g

mostly im just wondering how to get the .11b to defer to the .11g and want to make sure that it doesnt mess with my dynamic ips

4. Zourn

Yes, I realize this, but you will not be using the routing feature of the 11b router, correct? Then everything connected to the 11b should operate as if they had their own WAP connected to them.
    Make sure you turn the DHCP off on the B router, or turn both DHCP servers off and manually set IP's.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sorry for not reading every post above it case this was already said...

But... Why do you need 2 wireless routers?? Unless the computers are more than ~300ft apart you only need one. There is no need for 2.

802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b. The hardware that has the 802.11g hardware can use those speeds whereas the 802.11b hardware will only get the speeds it's capable of.

I guess I'm not follwing why you need 2 routers. It should have a 4-port switch, and I don't think that there is a limit on the number of wireless connections, but if there is, it should definitely be more than a couple.

6. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im essentally using the .11b as a wireless card for an imac so the imac can have highspeed internet. believe me, ive looked into another way for the imac to share the connection

so the b will just have the imac (in the gameroom)

the g (my room) will have the imac's "wireless card", my desktop wireless (my room), my laptop wireless, a broadband modem (my room), and a desktop physical (my room)

i could technically string 50ft of cat5, but that doesnt look good.

7. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I would suggest that and turning off the DHCP of the B router and making it uner the same subnet as the G.

You should be all good from there :bigthumb:

8. Zourn

Everything in my last post still applies.