MMA ATT fighter Simon Boulter fails to make weight, Pickett declines fight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

FX3 has been hit by the loss of it’s co-main event fight in the shape of Brad Pickett vs Simon Boulter on account of Boulter being 0.4kg over the required weight limit of 66.2kg. “I spent 5 ½ hours in the sauna in total cutting from 72kg down to 66.6kg and he (Pickett) didn’t want to take the fight. I offered him 50% of my purse in order to keep the match alive but he wasn’t going for it” lamented Boulter when explaining the situation, adding “I was 77kg last Sunday, by Friday I was 72kg and I stepped into the sauna for 2 hours to get down to 69kg – no problem. This morning I did 3 ½ hours and got to 66.6kg and couldn’t do anymore”

For many fighters making weight is even tougher than the training leading up to the fight as you never know how your body will react, there have been countless fighters who missed weight but the fights usually go ahead anyway – Gina Carano has had several incursions, Joe Riggs lost his title change against Matt Hughes and ditto for Travis Lutter against Anderson Silva to name a few, surely 0.4kg means get back in the sauna? “I don’t know what happened to my body, I felt like I was going to die, I have never felt like it before, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack or something!” explained Boulter at being unable to cut anymore “at the end of the day, if he didn’t want the fight, he had his way out, he has more to lose than me being as he is a well known, experienced fighter, but I tried everything I could to make it happen and it didn’t, even my corner-man was holding me up in there, ”

Catching up with Brad Pickett revealed his side of the story and it isn’t the issue of letting the fight go ahead with 0.4kg being given away, it’s a respect issue. “It’s not the weight that bothers me, I have fought guys who are 10 kilos heavier than me before, it’s the way that it was done that irked me. We had 45 minutes before the cut off point and he basically turned around and said he was done, he basically said I cant go back in the sauna, sat down and popped his drink down his throat without even asking me about it, that made my blood boil” explained Pickett before adding “We all sat down outside trying to resolve it, corner-man, promoters and us, but when he popped that drink I just thought, is this for f***ing real? He didn’t consult me or try to cut right up to the line, he just sat back and slugged his drink, I was so f***ing angry, and I cant fight with my head in that frame of mind, I wont fight the fight I need to”

So was the split of Boulter’s purse not an incentive to accept the bout? You could possibly look at his team-mate at ATT - Thaigo Alves for reference as this is exactly what happened to him with Matt Hughes… “Its all very well and good to say Hughes got 30% of his purse, but 30% of UFC wages is a lot better than 50% of what he (Boulter) was getting paid here, but again, its not a financial issue, it’s a professionalism issue, I would have walked him back to the sauna myself if he wanted it that bad, it just got me into a frenzy seeing him pop his drink without consultation first” ranted Pickett, clearly still angry at how things have transpired “I have seen people crawl out of a sauna to make weight before” he concluded.

Two sides of the story, and a highly anticipated bout that isn’t going to happen – the only people that are losing out are the fans who were looking forward to seeing the established U.K. MMA star take on an up and coming fighter. It had all the ingredients to make a barnburner of a bout, but we will never know. In closing Pickett emphasised his decision: “If he stayed into the sauna till the cut off time and still didn’t make weight but came up to me and said: “look mate, it’s not happening, do you still want to fight, I tried my best” then I would have taken it knowing he wanted it; he didn’t and now I am crawling the walls at home livid, and I can’t fight how I need to with that frame of mind”

At the time of writing FX3 continues ahead as planned promising a night of solid MMA action and atmosphere, but with only one other change and that is due to Kevin Porter suffering a family crisis and having to withdraw from his scheduled bout with Nick Osipzcak.

cliffs: Boulter weighs in 0.4kg over limit, offers 50% of purse to Pickett to continue fight, Pickett declines still because the way Boulter acted at weigh-ins

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

more att excuses. not surprising.

does anybody out of that camp make weight?

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Ben made HW

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good that someone is held accountable for not making weight.

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, makes me like brad picket even more.

6. Christ, you know how many fighters they have? Don't be such an assclown.

Good that he turned down the fight though. Just assuming you can cut 11kg is kind of retarded.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

11kg is about 25lb thats a big cut.

8. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

God damn, ATT hasnt been looking to hot lately

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Alves and Silva looked like shit.

10. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Alves missed weight by 9 lbs

11. 4 lbs

12. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I've never even heard of that guy.

Brad reps ATT when he fights as well. So its kinda awkward if you ask me.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, i remember you saying that. i just wanted to give you a hard time with the title :kiss:

i remember when Pickett did a flying headstomp on Ozzy Haluk when CR first allowed headstomps :eek3:

14. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Thats right. I was thinking of Carano for some reason

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Diaz missed weight by 9lbs.

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Thats who it was. I am all fucked up with all the people missign weight

17. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Diaz was stoned and thought he was fighting at 170

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Finally someone is held accountable for their weight. He expected to cut almost 25lbs in only a week to make 145...that's nuts.