ATT + Cingular Merger Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maverick, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I know ATT has been bought out by Cingular, but I have one question. I just signed up with ATT about a week ago and bought the Motorola V180. My phone has an ATT SIM card at the moment. If I remove the SIM card, all the ATT crap dissappears. Will Cingular send me a new SIM card to get rid of ATT stuff like mMode and crap like that? Or will I have to goto the store I bought my contract from to get a new SIM card?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

what do you mean if you remove the sim card all the att crap disappears? if you remove the sim card the phone wont work.

you cant have a cingular sim and run an att account

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

the easiest thing to do is take the V180 back since you're still within your 30 day return period and get something else (i'm really happy with the V551 i just picked up last week). the V551 will be set up for cingular and they should give you a cingular SIM card and you can switch to a cingular calling plan with rollover minutes while you're at it.

4. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I don't want another phone, I like my V180. What I asked is what will happen to my ATT SIM card? Will they exchange it for a Cingular SIM card in the future or what? I don't want any other phone. I know for a fact that I won't need a new phone because I'm not getting a new Cingular rate plan. I'm keeping with my old plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  5. maczter

Oh.

6. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

The v180 is locked I think. YOu have 3 options

1. Ask ATT for the unlock code (kinda doubt they will do it)
    2. Take it back, get the cingular branded one instead
    3. Should be on the rebate form. Migrate to cingular and you can get up to $150 rebate for your ATT phone. They will give you the envelope and everything. I'm pretty sure the v180 is part of that rebate deal.

GREAT phone, for as many as we put out the door in my cingular store, we NEVER see them come back except for people who drop/abuse them

7. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

Pretty sure the 180 is not part of the rebate, but I quit on the 14th so I never saw it :nikko:
    You might be able to program your phone for cingular's wap settings, but not sure if it will work. Even if you get it unlocked and put in a cingular sim, mmode and stuff won't work.

8. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

They wont. I went to an ATT Store, and me saying "unlock" was like dropping an F bomb in there.

9. maczter

tried this yet?

http://swehack.se/misc/unlock_codes/motorola_v180_unlock_codes.htm